Monday, April 23, 2012

Sacrificial Love

The newborn experience from the grandparent point of view is extraordinary.  From the new parent point of view . . . joyful, exhausting, amazing, confusing. My grandson has managed to get his days and nights mixed up, which is pretty typical for the first few weeks to month.  Last night I offered to stay up with him so my daughter and husband could get a little sleep. As I began singing favorite lull-a-byes, my mind drifted to Jesus.  Being a follower of Christ is exactly like becoming a new parent . . . at times it is joyful, exhausting, amazing and confusing.  But we continue to persevere out of love.  Love for the infant He has blessed us with and love for Him.  Would you deny an infant love and comfort because you were sleep deprived?  Because he changed the life you knew before his arrival? Of course not. Children require our love, attention and sacrifice 24/7. Our Father in heaven is the expert in sacrificial love. He gave His only Son for our salvation.  Yes, that means you, me, my grandson, my children . . . every human on this earth.  Lay apostles, remember God the Father's sacrifice every time you look at your own children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, or anyone you come in contact with.  Remember, actions speak louder than words.

In today’s Gospel (John 6:22-29), Jesus speaks to those who followed Him for the wrong reasons:

“Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Father, God, has set his seal."
So they said to him, "What can we do to accomplish the works of God?" Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent."


In the October 2009 Monthly Message, Jesus teaches us about sacrifice:

“ . . . Please, do not count the sacrifices when you consider your service. Do not count the loss of worldly respect. Count only the souls who are comforted and consoled. Count the repentance and healing of so many who have been restored to unity with heaven. Count the humility that I have bestowed on you, dear apostle, since you began to learn about true holiness. I am your King. I can give you anything. I choose to give you peace and holiness. I choose to make of you a resolute servant. Accept My will in your life and you will then be able to accept all of the graces heaven has stored up for you."

Comforting and consoling.  Sacrificial love.  Read from the Bible daily and you will understand what the one true Role Model desires of us. We need not look elsewhere.

Thank you, Lord, for showing me how to persevere when sacrifice is difficult.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: