Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pieces of Me

Changing diapers on baby boys requires skill and agility of which my daughter and son-in-law acquired before they even left the hospital.  Having all girls myself, the process seemed quite complicated at first.  After a few diaper changes, I got it down.  My grandson has taken it very easy on me . . . until last night.  As I was changing him, his "bottom end" began sputtering.  He was crying and kicking and having, as my daughter calls it, a poop explosion.  I'm grabbing diapers and wipes trying to keep up with it all.  It is going everywhere.  Just when I thought he was done and had a clean diaper under him, guess what I forgot about?  The line of fire!  It started spraying everywhere. On his face, on my shirt (which later I discovered was decorated with a few brown spots!), and on the changing table.  That's when I called in the experts.  My daughter (laughing of course) swooped in and came to my aid!


After he was all cleaned up and in a fresh sleeper, I brought him out and held him as he slept peacefully on my lap.  I am trying to take in as much of him as I can before I head back home. Looking at his beautiful little face, I see so much of my daughter when she was an infant. A family trait from my mother's side is a crooked pinky finger.  We noticed it right after he was born.  I have it.  My daughter's have it.  And now my grandson.  A little piece of me.


As my grandson has pieces of me, we are blessed with the presence of our Father and His Son. In todays Gospel (John 6:30-35) Jesus is speaking to a crowd who ask Him for a sign so they can believe in Him.  With patience, He replies:


"Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.  For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

So they said to Jesus, "Sir, give us this bread always."  Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst."


In Anne a lay apostle’s book Climbing the Mountain, she encourages us to recognize and accept Christ’s presence:

“If we begin our climb up the mountain of holiness each day, we will be accepting that Christ is within us. At the top of this mountain is unity with Jesus, yes, and that unity is a guaranteed thing if we desire it. The higher we climb, the more we labor for holiness and for the Kingdom on the path that He has marked out for us, and the more we honor Jesus within our souls. Truly, the lay apostle has been given assurance that if that apostle works for Jesus, Jesus will care for all of his needs, including the conversion of the apostle’s family. We need no further encouragement or promise. The only peace is found with Jesus. Paradise is a place. Heaven is vibrant with activity and joy and we will all get there. Work for Jesus, my friends, and we will bring as many souls home to our Father as we possibly can.”


Lay apostles, no matter where you are today, ask Jesus for the graces you need to believe in Him fully.  He is the bread which will always satisfy your hunger.


Thank you, Lord, for the patience You demonstrated so long ago and which You continue to show me on a daily basis.  I am blessed to be a piece of You!


God bless,
Bonnie






No comments: