Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Be a Fighter

I think I missed my calling in life.  I should have been a female boxer.  Every time I see a woman boxing on TV or in the movies, I wish I had been brave enough when I was younger.  To fearlessly walk into the ring and give your all for something you believe in despite the outcome inspires me. A broken nose . . . not so inspiring.  Probably why I'm a nurse and not a boxer. Think I'll stick to sparring with my punching bag in the garage for now. There is a song by Christina Aguilera I have downloaded as one of my ringtones.  When my phone bellows these words from the song Fighter, I am energized:

Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter

This song also summons to mind life as a follower of Christ. And, it fits perfectly with todays first reading (1Peter 5:5b-14):

Be sober and vigilant. Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in faith, knowing that your brothers and sisters throughout the world undergo the same sufferings. The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ Jesus will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little. To him be dominion forever. Amen.

In Volume One, Jesus shows us that if we fight for Him, He will fight for us . . . if we allow Him to:

"I want to point out that souls, while being disobedient in matters of faith, are obedient to the impulses and cravings of their bodies. Your bodies are making slaves of you, dear chosen souls. It must not continue. You must bring your bodies under submission so that your soul will be freed to contemplate matters of faith. Do you want to be with Me? I am here for you. But you must clear the path for Me. You must listen for Me. To do that, dear chosen souls, you must free yourselves from these attachments that hold you under submission. I am with you and will fight these battles for you, if only you will let Me. This is what it means to be My follower. You need worry over nothing. I will fight your battles for you and bring others to heaven through you. I can place the most beautiful, heavenly thoughts in your souls if only you will let Me. How I stand by, little soul, ready to bring you closer. Say “yes” to Me and we will begin our journey in earnest."



Today, lay apostles, become a fighter for Christ.  Don't be afraid to step out into the ring to defend Him.  Proclaim the Good News whenever the opportunity arises, especially within your own family. Never fear, Jesus is always near!

Thank you, Lord, for making me a fighter.  I will fight for You until the end of time!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: