Friday, May 1, 2020

Gospel Thoughts Today: I Can See Clearly Now

Confusing messages . . . what is the underlying meaning behind the words? Growing up with a mentally ill mother, I became extremely proficient at assessing situations and my environment at a young age. What was said behind closed doors did not reflect who we appeared to be on the outside. Talk about confusing messages! I was blinded to what a "normal" reality was for others. I only knew my world and how to survive it with my sanity intact. After reading today's Gospel, the song I Can See Clearly Now came to mind, especially this verse:

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day

Why did this pop into my head (and still lingering as I write this!)? As I contemplated what I would write today, I knew exactly what made me see clearly . . . this apostolate. With all the messages from heaven seeping into my soul, I finally understood God's love for me in my flawed human condition. During the tough times and poor choices I made as a young person, I never blamed God for my circumstances. I always blamed myself for making decisions based on my emotions. All I know is God had to be by my side gently nudging me to make better decisions as any good parent does when their child veers off the path. I am forever grateful to Anne and Fr. Darragh for their "yes" to Jesus and this mission.

In today's Gospel (John 6:52-59), Jesus has His followers a bit confused but His message is clear to His followers:

The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his Flesh to eat?”  Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the Flesh of the Son of Man and drink his Blood, you do not have life within you.  Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood
has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my Flesh is true food, and my Blood is true drink.  Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood remains in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven.  Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.”  These things he said while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

In the Monthly Message from October 2011, Jesus assures us our clear vision is needed to bring those in darkness to Him:

"All is well, dear apostles. Does this statement console you, even as you look at the changes occurring in the world? Why do I tell you that all is well when you can see clearly that difficulties have arisen in many areas? I hear the prayers of My children asking that I send relief from the sufferings that afflict them and cause them to question their security and even their faith. How often I have to teach mankind that I am the only true security and that reliance on Me will bring peace and all possible benefit to each man and to the intentions of each man. In heaven’s eyes, all is well, even as many suffer. Are God’s children suffering with the benefit of the truth? Do they understand that I am with them and that I have overcome even death? My friends, if there are those remaining who do not understand the extent of My love, then your work is not finished. If there are those remaining who do not understand that joy is possible, even in suffering, and indeed especially in suffering, then your work is not finished. If there are times when you are afraid, then you must come to Me. I will protect you from anything that is outside of My will for you and for your work. "

Lay apostles, confusion abounds in our world right now. Be the light you want to see in the world . . . don't add to the chaos. Be calm and pray, pray, pray. God has been and will always be by our side through the good and the bad. Remember the end goal . . . we WILL be Face to face with Him one day. Let's try to make it a happy homecoming!

Thank you, Lord, for the preparation given to all lay apostles during this time of confusion and fear. I am not worried in the least thanks to You!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: