Thursday, July 11, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Is Patience a Virtue?

Patience used to be a tough one for me. Especially when it involved Jesus Christ the Returning King. There is nothing I enjoy more than leading others to Christ. As I have said many times, this apostolate (Direction for Our Times) drastically changed my life. I get so excited when people I meet want to know more about the mission. I love getting feedback. But, not everyone is ready for change. This is where my lack of patience would creep in. When handing out a Volume, I assumed others would devour it as I did the first time I laid eyes on it. Why wouldn't everyone want to feel like I feel? To truly understand how an intimate relationship with Christ can rock your world? I have heard Anne, a lay apostle, say many times to plant the seed and let Jesus take it from there. I struggled with this concept for quite a while, but over time, I began to understand the importance of this statement. I can't make people believe or desire a closer relationship with Jesus. Because if I could "make" them, it would be my time, not God's time. The valuable lesson here is to approach others with love and show them, by example, what living in the Light of Christ looks and feels like. Then, move on and hand out the next Volume.

Today's Gospel (Matthew 10:7-15) gives good advice when trying to shine the light of Christ on those in darkness pushing us away:

Jesus said to his Apostles: "As you go, make this proclamation: 'The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.' Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, drive out demons. Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give. Do not take gold or silver or copper for your belts; no sack for the journey, or a second tunic, or sandals, or walking stick. The laborer deserves his keep. Whatever town or village you enter, look for a worthy person in it, and stay there until you leave. As you enter a house, wish it peace. If the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it; if not, let your peace return to you. Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet. Amen, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town."

In the Monthly Message of August 2008, Jesus instructs us to be vigilant in pursuing holiness:

“Ask yourself today and each day, ‘Where is God asking me to be holier today?’ Perhaps it is charity, perhaps patience, possibly trust, maybe you should practice concentrating on your holiness and refrain from examining the work needed in other souls. Oh, My dear apostles, if you could only see how desirable holiness is to heaven. If you could only see how beautiful you are when you are looking up to heaven with an honest desire to become holier. When you become distracted, My heart sighs. And yet I am patient with you. I know that My little ones want to serve Me. I know that My little ones struggle to absorb the truth about holiness. And that is why I am patient. I am patient because you are trying. Continue trying, dear apostles. Walk bravely into holiness. Be fearless in examining your condition. If you do so, I will surround you with love so that you do not become discouraged but emboldened.”

Lay apostles, be proactive for Christ. Live as an example to others. For what good does it bring when we say we love Jesus, but brutally judge; hand out a Volume and then use Christ's name in vain. Remember, all eyes are on us to determine if we live what we preach.

Thank you, Lord, for increasing my patience level when what I really want to do is speak out and say my truth!  I understand what You are trying to teach me . . . to be patient with others as You are with me!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: