Friday, July 26, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: How Deep Is Your Love?

One of the 70's most iconic movies (disco, anyone?) can be identified by the title of this blog post. Who didn't love John Travolta as Vinny Barbarino in Welcome Back Kotter? So when he made it to the big screen in Saturday Night Fever, well, it was a must-see at the time. This song, sung by the Bee Gees, was one of my favorites and came to mind after reading today's Gospel. Listening to the words now, in 2019, they have a whole new meaning for me. Especially these lines:

I believe in you
You know the door to my very soul
You're the light in my deepest darkest hour
You're my saviour when I fall
And you may not think
I care for you
When you know down inside
That I really do
And it's me you need to show
How Deep Is Your Love

The thing is, Jesus knows us and loves us so deeply, it's extremely difficult to comprehend at times. He is there for us when we fall, when we are happy, when we are scared, and when we are trying to cope. Stop running away from Him, especially when you feel surrounded by darkness. This is the time to draw closer to Him through prayer and intimate conversation. Tell Him anything and everything. He will show you how deep His love truly is.

Today's Gospel (Matthew 13:18-23) encourages us to know Christ well, creating a strong base on which to grow:

Jesus said to his disciples: “Hear the parable of the sower. The seed sown on the path is the one who hears the word of the Kingdom without understanding it, and the Evil One comes and steals away what was sown in his heart. The seed sown on rocky ground is the one who hears the word and receives it at once with joy. But he has no root and lasts only for a time. When some tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, he immediately falls away. The seed sown among thorns is the one who hears the word, but then worldly anxiety and the lure of riches choke the word and it bears no fruit. But the seed sown on rich soil is the one who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and yields a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold.”

In Volume Ten, Jesus says exactly what I needed to hear today:

"My dearest little serving souls, how I love you. You serve so diligently and do not realize at all how grateful is your Jesus. My gratitude could flow over you in such a way that you would experience it in your humanity. But if that were to happen, the merit from your service might be decreased. So I keep that to Myself and place it in the most special place in heaven, your place. It will be here waiting for you when you arrive. All of your crosses, each one, obtain merit for your soul and salvation for others. The more unpleasant the cross, the more merit and salvation obtained. You do not see Me, but you believe in Me. I do not speak these words to you, but you know that these are My words. Children, I am working silently in your beautiful souls all through each day, all through each night. The gratitude is there in My presence. The gratitude is there in your peace. The gratitude is there in the quietness of your soul. You are not restless and unhappy like souls wandering without Me. You are learning not to harbor unnecessary fears."

Lay apostles, the minute my cross becomes too heavy, my tendency is to look toward humanity instead of Jesus. But I am learning and the time-lapse is getting shorter and shorter. Now is the time to hold on tightly to His Hand. Trust He is working out things to be most beneficial to you in the long run. Please pray for me, Jay and all Christians. Pray we each stand strong and tall when the spiritual muscles we have been preparing are put to use!

Thank you, Lord, for whatever the lessons are You are trying to teach when crosses become heavy. Help me to have a joyful and thankful heart at all times.

God bless,

Bonnie

No comments: