Friday, March 15, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: It's Only a Flesh Wound!

The Litany of Humility saved me again. Just as my heart and mind were about to “go there,” the words in this beautiful prayer came alive as if Jesus Himself was reciting them in my head. From the desire of being loved, Deliver me, Jesus. From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, Jesus. That others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. Those three verses get me over the initial sting every time. Most people don’t intentionally hurt us. They become absorbed in themselves and what they want. And that’s ok. We all have the right to choose options benefiting our own needs. But words can hurt. Yet, as the Black Knight says to King Arthur (after Arthur has cut off both his arms) in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, “It’s just a flesh wound!” Lay apostles, insults are only superficial. Remember the Litany of Humility and I promise, over time, you will learn not to take things so personally.

In today's Gospel (Matthew 5:20-26), Jesus reminds us not to hold grudges lest we are judged accordingly by the Father:

Jesus said to his disciples: “I tell you unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the Kingdom of heaven. You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, 'You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment. But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment . . .'

In Volume Two, The Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, He tells us the ability to forgive is only a prayer away:

"Dear children of this one true God, seek out people who have hurt you, especially in your family, and offer your forgiveness. You don’t need to look for it. Ask Me where it is, dear child, and indeed, I will hand forgiveness to you. If you do this, you will heal. You may say, “Jesus, it is too hard. I cannot do this as I have been hurt too badly.” My child, again I counsel you to practice. Say these words of forgiveness in your head. Then say them aloud. Become used to the sound of them. With My graces, it will not only be possible, it will be easy. Trust Me, who loves you with a genuine love and seeks your peace. I want no barrier of bitterness between Us. I want to heal you. I want to heal families. Do not be afraid. If someone rejects your forgiveness, that is his loss. You will heal, and you will be rewarded. It matters not to Me what a recipient does with a gift you have given. I look only at the fact that you have given when I examine your life."

Lay apostles, I struggle on my path just as much as you. All I can do is continue following Christ through the Bible, Volumes and any other spiritual reading I can get my hands on. The more immersed I become, the closer I feel to the holiness He expects of me.

Thank you, Lord, for the strength to move past hurt quickly and painlessly. The closer I get to You, the easier life becomes.

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: