Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Immersed in Jesus

I am an insomniac.  Have been since my first semester of nursing school many years ago. When I decided to go back to school to pursue a BSN, my youngest daughter was two.  My first semester consisted of the following courses: College Algebra, Marriage and Family, Communications, and the culprit causing my insomnia, Microbiology.  Early in the semester, we were given the task of determining the bacterial species of the organism distributed to each team of two. My partner Brian and I spent hours in the lab using different identification techniques to figure out what the little sucker was.  Our professor was one of the toughest in the program, and also one of the most brilliant men I had ever met.  Both Brian and I wanted to impress him. As the due date for our project approached, my stress level soared. I remember going to bed one night running all the test results through my head on our dear little bacteria sample. We had it down to two. I tried to fall asleep but gram staining and phenotypic differences kept me drifting in and out.  Then, I remember sitting up in the middle of the night yelling "Staphylococcus aureus!"  Brian had come to the same conclusion I discovered the next day.  We proudly handed our brilliant findings to our esteemed professor, feeling we just rocked the Microbiology world!  He took our precious research, smiled, stuck it in a pile, and went back to what he was doing. Not exactly the cheering we expected, but a much-needed lesson in humility!

It's so easy to become distracted in this world.  We have jobs, school and/or families. We have the internet, iPhones, TV, and every other form of entertainment at our beck and call. Don't you wish there was a switch you could flip to turn off the world and focus solely on Jesus?  The closest I have found to flipping a switch is going to Adoration and praying the Rosary. Indeed, I still find myself drifting at times to worldly thoughts, but I get back on track faster when immersed in Him and His Life on earth.

After reading today's Gospel (Matthew 6:7-15), Jesus teaches us it's quality, not quantity when praying:

Jesus said to his disciples: "In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

This is how you are to pray:

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions."

In Volume Two, Jesus asks us to rely on Him when having a flurry of thoughts:

“It is not in My nature to confuse, so you must believe that confusion does not come from Me. Fear, anxiety, restlessness do not come from Me. Bitterness, hatred, deceit do not come from Me. Does that mean you will never experience these things? No. It is part of your earthly cross that you will encounter these things. What I am telling you is that you must bring these things to Me. I will then take them from you and you will be free of them. You may encounter these things again, perhaps within the hour. Come back to Me, in your heart, where I remain, and I will take them from you again. You see, My little dear one, your struggles are Mine now. I am stronger, wiser, more able for these things and I want to remove any negative thoughts from you. I seek to heal you and renew you. I can do this if you will let Me. I do not make this promise for now, this moment. I make this a lifetime pledge to you. When you experience a difficulty with your emotions, you bring it right to Me. And that’s where it will end.”

Lay apostles, do you struggle with prayer?  If you do, just pray the Our Father.  As you grow deeper into your relationship with Christ, prayer becomes as easy as talking to your best friend.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me reliance on You for everything will ease my mind of useless anxiety and distractions.

God bless,
Bonnie



No comments: