Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Human Side of Me

The word stings when hurled viciously, stopping me for an instant. If it was used to shut me down to get their point across, I became even more passionate. The word? Hypocrite. Here is Bing.com's definition:

Somebody feigning high principles: somebody who pretends to have admirable principles, beliefs, or feelings but behaves otherwise.

Everyone who knows me, knows God is #1 in my life. I am and always will be a work in progress. During the early days of my faith journey through this mission, I tried my best to live the messages of Jesus and all of heaven. Now that doesn't mean I did it perfectly. So when my passion would flare (hey, I am part Italian and part Polish!) for something I felt strongly about, some would attack with "You are a hypocrite. I thought you were a Christian." I'm going to let you all in on a little secret . . . Christians are not perfect. I will never be perfect. As Anne a lay apostle says, we are all imperfect beings. I have always tried my best to be kind, humble and loving. I look back on those moments now and know Jesus was toughening me up . . . to fight even harder for Him. He was teaching me humility and strength of character. He was leading me to a calmer, peaceful existence I never knew was possible. So always remember each of us is on a unique journey toward heaven. It may not always look the way you think it should . . . instead take a look inward and make a change in the only place you can . . . yourself.

Todays Gospel (Matthew 23:27-32) teaches us to make sure the outside = the inside:

Jesus said, “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You are like whitewashed tombs, which appear beautiful on the outside, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and every kind of filth. Even so, on the outside you appear righteous, but inside you are filled with hypocrisy and evildoing.

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You build the tombs of the prophets
and adorn the memorials of the righteous, and you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have joined them in shedding the prophets’ blood.’ Thus you bear witness against yourselves that you are the children of those who murdered the prophets; now fill up what your ancestors measured out!”


In Anne a lay apostle's book Lessons in Love, she gives a good example of why we must not generalize:


"Next, perhaps the searcher will ask the Lord to reveal His presence in the soul of another person, one who loves as Jesus loves, one who seeks Christ as the searcher seeks Christ, with an open heart and in truth. These apostles are everywhere, awaiting the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Jesus will connect the one who seeks Him to holy fellowship when the time is right and persuade the searcher that while all Christians are human, all Christians are not hypocrites. This strategy for truly understanding what one is rejecting, seeks Christ in three ways: in Holy Scripture, in the Eucharist and ongoing life of the Church, and in other faithful Christians. These are good places to look for Jesus because He truly lives and ministers to us from these three places each day if we seek Him."

Lay apostles, strive to be an example of His Love and Truth. Look for the good. The human side of me sees what is going on in the world. It's so easy to be distracted by it all. But when looking through His Eyes, it is a much different view. Be the change you want to see in the world. 

Thank you, Lord, for building my spiritual muscles over the last 8 years. I pray I am hearing everything You want me to hear!

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: