Friday, August 8, 2014

Suffer With A Smile

Humidity and flat ironed curly hair just don't mix. I leave the house with nice straight hair and within minutes I can feel my hair expanding . . . Bozo the Clown comes to mind!  ;-) A few days ago my beautiful 16 year old niece arrived from Colorado to spend 11 days in sunny Florida. Last night we took her to the beach for dinner . . . she hadn't seen a beach since she was about 2 years old. Her childlike excitement of stepping foot on the sand, searching for seashells and carefully watching for washed ashore jelly fish was enchanting.  Despite the heat and quickly frizzing locks, God blessed us with a sunset we will all remember forever. It was spectacular!  So, suffer with a smile . . . for His Gifts are all around us . . . all we have to do is remember to see the beauty.






In todays Gospel (Matthew 16:24-28), Jesus asks us to endure suffering on earth in His Name . . . and our reward will be great in heaven:

Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world
and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life? For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father’s glory, and then he will repay each according to his conduct. Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom.”


In Volume Two, Jesus shows us by focusing on Him instead of ourselves, we can bring His love and kindness to others:

"If you are hurried, you will miss My cue and the soul will remain without necessary consolation and guidance. Children, this is the state of affairs all over your world at this time. Do you notice that loneliness and despair are everywhere? Children, you will not find loneliness and despair where I am. Indeed, even in the most wretched of circumstances, if I am present, you will see eyes that smile and offer kindness, and you will see great hope, even in the face of suffering and death. So what is missing in your world? I am missing. Few souls allow Me to work through them. When I am allowed, you will see hope begin to flourish again. Faces will be more at peace and joy will flow naturally from one soul to another. I will put such joy in your faces that you will be unable to conceal your unity with Me. Crosses will feel lighter and hold great meaning. Children, I have so much to offer you, both in these words and in My constant presence in your lives. So do not turn away, even for a day. Draw closer to Me, that We may proceed. What feels difficult to you, anticipating changes in your life, will come easily. That is another promise I make to you."

Lay apostles, how do you endure suffering? Loneliness? Tragedy? I used to try to handle it alone. Now, I couldn't do it without Him. Maybe it's my age . . . but I sure wish I would have had the Volumes 40 years ago. I would have smiled more.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me to suffer with a smile. I haven't perfected it yet, but I am learning!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: