Monday, June 2, 2014

What Is My Motive?

There are many lessons in the author world . . . how to handle rejection, dismiss negative comments, and the disappointment of not selling a million copies of your book! Over the years, I have had to take a look at what my true motive is in publishing a book. Is it fame? Fortune? Ego stroking? Or, is it all for the Glory of God? To be honest, I would love Can You Text Me Directions? to be in the hands of every young adult in the world. But the reality is . . . God will put it in the hands of those who really need it. That number could be 200 or it could be 20,000. The point is when I remember what my motive is (for His Glory), it really doesn't matter how many copies sell. What matters is it gets into the hands of the right person. It's not about the fame, fortune or ego stroking. It's about talking to a young person who has been touched by my book. It's about encouraging readers to want to learn more about the DFOT mission. It's about changing hearts so life challenges are less painful when experienced with Christ. I completely trust His Judgement . . . and I know my book is in His Hands!

Todays Gospel (John 16:29-33) gives us words to remember when pondering our motives:

The disciples said to Jesus, “Now you are talking plainly, and not in any figure of speech.
Now we realize that you know everything and that you do not need to have anyone question you. Because of this we believe that you came from God.” Jesus answered them, “Do you believe now? Behold, the hour is coming and has arrived when each of you will be scattered to his own home and you will leave me alone. But I am not alone, because the Father is with me. I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” 


In Anne a lay apostle's book Serving in Clarity, she clarifies what our motives should be based on:


"As lay apostles, we must be willing to do the hard work in our souls. Our motives must be pure for our consciences to be clear. As my friend said, the enemy comes from within and without. God’s enemy can advance in us if we entertain impure motives. May God give us the desire to work hard with Him at purifying our motives. When one’s motives are selfless, each day is viewed as an equally attractive opportunity for service to God’s Kingdom. There is little rising and let down. Service done in the company of only heaven will seem as alluring as service seen by multitudes here on earth and service done in the presence of the multitudes on earth will seem as alluring as service done in the company of only heaven. Oh my friends, let us pray daily that the Lord nourish in us a great detachment from the opinions of others. If we arrive at this detachment, it will be difficult for the enemy to knock us off our paths. We will serve in a spirit of clarity and peace. We will trust our Jesus, who conquered the world, to protect us from the false motives of those around us."

Lay apostles, we all need to take a good look at our motives today. What is causing the frustration or hurt we are experiencing? Is it lack of appreciation for our efforts? Is it being looked at as less than perfect? Do we fear the criticism of the world? As Anne says in her talks, we are all imperfect people. When we come to grips with that, admitting it out loud, we begin look at ourselves differently, with the eyes of Jesus instead of the world.  And only then can we begin to purify our motives. 

Thank you, Lord, for the ability to see what my true motives are . . . and when they aren't for Your Glory, thank you for slowing me down long enough to realize it and refocus!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: