Friday, June 20, 2014

What Do You Treasure?

Life will always throw curve balls. We will all suffer at one time or another. This is to be expected. Every day God gives us on this earth, we have a choice. We can whine and complain, blaming others for the difficult circumstances we find ourselves facing. Or, we can take the blows while holding tightly to the Hand of God. Days can appear quite stormy and dark, but what about the beauty Our Heavenly Father supplies in a storm? The sound of rain on my window; the bright flashes of lightening; even loud, booming thunder (my mother always told us thunder was the angels bowling in heaven!). The world tells us we are poor if we don't live in a mansion, drive a fancy car, or wear designer clothing. To me, these are only treasures (to some) on earth. Many overlook the real treasures we have been blessed with . . . whether it's a loving husband, children, grandchildren, pets or _____ (you fill in the blank), remember these blessings when feeling ashamed, depressed, humiliated, scorned. The treasures we store up on earth materially will fade away some day. The love we gave follows us through eternity. 


Two of my treasures on earth! 

In todays Gospel (Matthew 6:19-23), Jesus is very clear about earthly possessions:

Jesus said to his disciples: “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.

“The lamp of the body is the eye. If your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light; but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be in darkness. And if the light in you is darkness, how great will the darkness be.”


In the Monthly Message of April 2008, Jesus teaches us the love we give in His Name on earth lives forever:


"I desire that each of you accept My love, which includes the love of all of heaven. Those who are lukewarm and do not accept my love cannot help Me in My goal of renewal. Those who are concerned with establishing their kingdoms on earth will lose opportunities to seed the renewal each day. Those who postpone a full commitment to My goals will find that they are sadly disappointed later, when they realize how important their service was to Me. I rely on My apostles to be passionate about service, seeking always to store up heavenly treasures in the souls of those around them. Truly, no kind word, no compassionate silence, no act of love is lost. Each of these is both used immediately and preserved eternally. I understand that you are tired at times. I understand that you become discouraged. I understand these things because in My humanity I experienced these things. I allow these feelings in My beloved apostles because their service to Me then becomes even more beneficial. Rest assured that you have been given all that you need in strength and courage for each day’s service." 

Lay apostles, what do you treasure? Be honest. Write it down. Now, look at that list and ask yourself if these treasures give you the opportunity to shine His Love in some way. Love your house? Use it to house weary souls. Love your car? Use it to drive a sick friend to the doctor's office. Have grandchildren? Teach them about the love of God. The list goes on and on. Use everything for His Glory, my friends. You will never be sorry you did.

Thank you, Lord, for all the treasures You have blessed me with on this earth. Continue to remind me of these treasures when I begin to glance toward the world instead of heaven!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: