Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Time for prayer

Insomnia set in years ago when I was in nursing school, which lead to a career of night shift schedules. Mornings just don't agree with me. When I began working out of a home office, my morning began with a cup of strong coffee to wake me up. Prayer time wasn't part of my routine. I prayed when it crossed my mind during the day. And always said a brief Our Father at night. Do you schedule time for prayer? No matter how busy Jesus was, he always made time for prayer. And He was a pretty busy man exorcising demons and healing people! Since I left my job end of November to write full-time, I have made prayer part of my daily routine. I still drag myself out of bed sometimes and make a cup of coffee, then take my coffee out to my back porch and begin with the Allegiance Prayer and the Morning Offering:

Allegiance Prayer

Dear God in Heaven, I pledge my allegiance to You. I give You my life, my work and my heart. In turn, give me the grace of obeying Your every direction to the fullest possible extent. Amen.

Morning Offering

Oh Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer You the prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins, and for the intentions of the Holy Father. Amen

Then, as a Catholic, I pray the Rosary. My days seem to flow more smoothly since I began this routine. And, I find myself praying throughout the day, trying to stay focused on what Jesus needs me to accomplish for Him and His Glory. The following message from Volume Four gives reassurance our prayers are being put to good use.

“Every breath of praise, every sentence of praise, every song of praise you utter will surround you with an oxygen-like substance in heaven. You will breathe in all of your prayers and you will exult in every earthly acceptance of suffering or hardship. Your prayers and obedience give God glory, this is true. But your earthly prayers and obedience also give you glory in eternity.” Jesus the King

Thank you, Lord, for creating time in my day to focus on You and the plans You have for me. Please give me the graces to pray without ceasing.

God bless,

Bonnie



No comments: