Thursday, January 26, 2012

Shining the light within

A few years ago, one of my daughters gave her sisters and me a keychain saying, "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven." Whether you like it or not, there are people looking for any sign to prove you are not what you say you are . . . that is, a Christian. There was only one perfect Man who walked the face of this earth, and He died for our sins. But the fact still remains, we are under constant scrutiny by our peers. I am in no way, shape or form, even close to perfect, but I am aware others are observing my behavior. How I react to a situation can either shine the light of Jesus within my heart drawing others closer to Christ, or I can react defensively and prideful, sending them in the opposite direction.

In Volume One, Thoughts on Spirituality, Jesus tell us:

“Be an example of peace to your brothers and sisters so that they, too, may desire union with Me. That is the challenge to My followers. If you have a peaceful countenance, you reflect Me, your Savior. Others see this and desire it. ‘What is it about that person?’ they ask. If you are a follower, your holiness will shine from within you and that is what they will identify. Be at peace. Fear is not from Me and does not draw you closer to Me. You must strive for confidence in your God. I will be with you, even until the end of time. Your sufferings will console you greatly later, when you join Me. You will never be sorry you suffered for your Jesus. I am bringing you along and soon you will no longer feel the weight of this cross.”

From today forward, let's try to be aware of how others perceive us in any given situation. Are we shining His Light from within or pushing them farther away from the One who loves unconditionally? There are going to be days where the temptation to react negatively overpowers us. On those days, remember you are not perfect. And, remember you can remedy your negative behavior and still bring His Light to others . . . apologize.

Thank you, Lord, for showing me the importance of apologizing when I have reacted defensively because of my own insecurities.

God bless,

Bonnie

No comments: