Sunday, March 20, 2016

No Boundaries Or Limits On How God Communicates

No Boundaries Or Limits On How God Communicates

Years ago I drove hundreds of miles to take a Florida Board Exam. This was to be the last step in a very long process . . . and the next step toward transitioning from a world of academia to the work world. The anticipation was of nothing but great things to come!

I soon found out the last small hurdle/mole hill was actually turning out to be the size of mountain. I arrived to find that the fully furnished apartment had no furniture. Nor was there air conditioning or lights . . . there was no electricity. No lights, no air conditioning and no furniture one week before the biggest exam of my life.

It sounds trivial, but the equivalent was happening in my professional career as what was happening in my personal life. Without going into the details, it involved lying by colleagues, payoffs, deceit, and humiliation.

At one point I realized I had passed a Midwestern Board exam allowing me to be licensed in 14 other states. I was done . . . ready to pack up and go back to Nebraska.

Two days before the exam . . . I called a man who was going to be a patient for me during the Board Exam to come down to the school. He was large, dressed in laborers' clothes, and was visually impaired. I let Cletis know that I was going home and I wanted to assign him to another practitioner. Cletis refused! Cletis would not let another person work on him nor would he take the money coming to him for sitting as a patient for the Board exam. 

Cletis then inquired if he could ask me something personal. He asked if I had ever quit anything before in my life. He went on to explain that if I had not . . . it was his wish that I would not quit at this point in time.

To this day, I believe Cletis was sent to me as a Gift! If ever there has been an angel sent to deliver an important message . . . a message that would prove to help guide me through a real turning point in my life, Cletis was it. He had more faith in me then I had in myself. A message so critical in how my life would unfold. A man who I would never have guessed to have relayed the message. 

Isn't that how God works? A message of wisdom or mercy . . . delivered often times in the most unusual ways. Sometimes through a Roman Soldier;  sometimes through a person who has died; sometimes through a tax collector; and other times through a prostitute. Sometimes through a burning bush and sometimes through angels!

In todays Gospel (Matthew 1:16, 18-21, 24), Our Lord demonstrates He is not limited in the ways He will attempt to reach and communicate with us:

Jacob was the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary. Of her was born Jesus who is called the Christ.

Now this is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about. When his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found with child through the Holy Spirit. Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man, yet unwilling to expose her to shame, decided to divorce her quietly.
Such was his intention when, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home. For it is through the Holy Spirit that this child has been conceived in her. She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” When Joseph awoke, he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took his wife into his home.

In Volume Seven, St. Thomas Aquinas assures us we are not alone on this journey:

“You will have angels and saints all around you, willing to console and direct you. You will be very brave and very fixated on your Jesus and on your mission to serve Him.” 

Lay apostles, trust that Our Lord can and will work through other people. He will also use us to encourage and be beacons of His Light if we are open to Him.

Thank you, Lord, for all the people you have put in my life who have brought Your Light during challenging times. Help me to be a radiant light for others.

In humility and gratitude,

Jay

No comments: