Friday, March 11, 2016

Man Wanted To Kill Him

Very special guest blogger today: my wonderful husband Jay!

Saint Pope John Paul II was a great man, a great pope and rare! He was rare for many reasons. Most rare because he lived and was canonized both within our lifetime.

He was so joyful. He was humble. He was so much a people's Pope. The accolades go on but nothing stands out in my mind more than seeing pictures of the Pope face to face . . . with his assassin. 

The man who tried to take his life was sitting right in front of him and the Pope was patiently listening to the man, offering forgiveness. Yes . . . offering to forgive the man for the pain and suffering the Pope had endured.

Yes, Jesus would have done the same . . . but wasn't He God? Didn't He have it a little easier some how? The answer is no. He endured verbal humiliation, violent torture, and an excruciating death. And no, He did not experience it any less than you or I would. He experienced this world fully human. He suffered and He forgave.

Yes, we are called to do the same . . . and the leader of the Catholic Church worldwide did just that. In St. Pope John Paul II's words, he said, "Forgiveness is above all a personal choice, a decision of the heart to go against the natural instinct to pay back evil with evil."

Todays Gospel (John 7:1-2, 10, 25-30) shows many full of judgement:

Jesus moved about within Galilee; he did not wish to travel in Judea,
because the Jews were trying to kill him. But the Jewish feast of Tabernacles was near.

But when his brothers had gone up to the feast, he himself also went up, not openly but as it were in secret.

Some of the inhabitants of Jerusalem said, “Is he not the one they are trying to kill? And look, he is speaking openly and they say nothing to him. Could the authorities have realized that he is the Christ? But we know where he is from. When the Christ comes, no one will know where he is from.” So Jesus cried out in the temple area as he was teaching and said, “You know me and also know where I am from.
Yet I did not come on my own, but the one who sent me, whom you do not know, is true. I know him, because I am from him, and he sent me.” So they tried to arrest him, but no one laid a hand upon him, because his hour had not yet come.

In the Monthly Message from September 2010, Jesus warns us not to judge:

“Allow Me to see to justice because only I am equipped to pass judgement. You must see to loving, despite any wounds you have suffered. I am the greatest victim of injustice so I am the best consoler. Bring your suffering to Me and I will send you away with love, which you will then continue to distribute on My behalf. Be serious about My work, dear apostles. It is important.” 

Lay apostles, we are being asked to be quick with mercy and slow to judge. Think about the times in your life where someone was extremely compassionate vs. other times someone judged you harshly. Know that God is a God of compassion and He calls us to be compassionate people. 

Thank you, Lord, for being compassionate with me, especially during times where I have judged others harshly.

In humility and gratitude,

Jay

No comments: