Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Answer Is: Let Go and Let God!

It took me a while, but I finally got it. And I've been living this way for the last few years. What did I get through this thick skull of mine? Trusting God in EVERYTHING! I have mellowed out so much since I completely rely on Him every day, in every situation. One of our girls making a not-so-stellar decision? Not my worry anymore. They are all adults finding their way just like Jay and I have over our lifetime. But I have to tell you, when it finally clicks in your child's head, it is marvelous watching the light go on . . . that light being maturity. I used to think I could "fix" things when those decisions lead them astray. But if I think back to my younger self, I wouldn't have listened to logic either. I hope what I'm teaching our daughters is to do the best you can in a given situation, and let God control the outcome. And, stick close to Jesus, the Blessed Mother, and all of heaven when things look bleak. Boy is it cool to see the girls get through tough situations, on their own, shining as bright as the sun! 
In the Gospel (John 16:29-33) from 13May2013, the disciples are finally starting to get it: 

The disciples said to Jesus, “Now you are talking plainly, and not in any figure of speech. Now we realize that you know everything and that you do not need to have anyone question you. Because of this we believe that you came from God.” Jesus answered them, “Do you believe now? Behold, the hour is coming and has arrived when each of you will be scattered to his own home and you will leave me alone. But I am not alone, because the Father is with me. I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.”

In Anne a lay apostle's book The Mist of Mercy, she provides a perfect visual for the power of Jesus Christ:


"Remember that if Jesus Christ is bigger than the Empire State Building, in terms of power and strength and influence, the devil is, in comparison, the size and strength of a little stinging ant. He can sting but he cannot topple the Empire State Building. As I have said in the past, let’s not gather around the stinging ant, admiring his power when we stand in the shadow of the Empire State Building. We must turn around and face the Almighty, admiring and relying on His limitless power. Jesus reminded me of this one morning. I was concerned about a dreadfully unjust and false attack. I felt at a loss to respond. Jesus said, “Anne, I conquered the world. I can handle this.” During periods of duress, it is important that we be very gentle with ourselves. We must not condemn ourselves or judge ourselves more harshly than the Lord judges us. The enemy delights when we think, poor me. I’m not holy enough. Surely the Lord should cast me out of the family. Surely the Lord can do without the service of one who fails as I have just failed. We will all fail. We will at times lose patience with others. We will also, at times, mistakenly take the bait from the enemy and be drawn into upset and disorder. There are times when we will be the cause of the upset and disorder. But to beat ourselves up over failures is to prolong the enemy’s influence. Jesus has no need of perfect apostles or He would have created some. He needs us, in all of our imperfection. And He needs us to be humble so we must rejoice when we experience our humanity. If nothing else, mistakes remind us that Christ is King and we are not."

Lay apostles, I know how hard it is getting to the point of complete trust in God. I slip every once in a while, but it doesn't take long to make it back into His loving arms of protection. Give it a try. Let go and let God!

Thank you, Lord, for the ability to let go and stop trying to control situations. Grateful doesn't even come close to describing how blessed I feel!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: