Friday, May 17, 2013

Repetition Can Be a Good Thing

My grandson Colton loves repetitious songs. But his tastes change, sometimes on a weekly basis. Last week, it was "Take Me Out To The Ball Game." This week, I can put him to sleep singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" over and over. Yesterday, I forgot his song for the week and started singing some old standbys. He just fussed and fidgeted, trying to twist out of my arms. Then it dawned on me . . . I wasn't singing the right song! So I began a five minute solo of "Itsy Bitsy Spider," and in no time he was out cold. Maybe it's the constant vibration of my voice as he lays his head against my chest as he falls asleep; maybe it's the melody of the song. Whatever it is, as I look at this beautiful baby boy comforted by his grammie's singing, all is perfect in the world. A little repetition never hurt anyone, and I would sing it for an hour straight if Colty could stand it! I love this little boy!!!


My little buddy!

In todays Gospel (John 21:15-19), Jesus uses a little repetition with His disciple to get His point across:

After Jesus had revealed himself to his disciples and eaten breakfast with them, he said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He then said to Simon Peter a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”  He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted;  but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me.”

In Volume Seven, St. Matthew has this advice when we tend to repeat mistakes over and over:


"He is your closest friend. He is your everpresent advisor. Think of your current problems. What does Jesus say about these problems? What is His opinion? What does He want you to do about these struggles or conflicts? If you do not know the answer, you are not doing it right. Spend time in silence with Him and ask Him. I lived like this. All day long I said, “Jesus, what would You like me to do? Jesus, how are You going to handle this?” He will give you the answer and you will reach His goal of behaving as another Christ in the world. Brothers and sisters, we do not wish to bore you by repeating lessons. But because we are also experienced with humanity, we know that often you must learn the same lessons over and over. Repetition and practice bring perfection. We know that. We learned it the old fashioned way which was by making the same mistakes and relearning these important lessons. Jesus is with you. Jesus will never leave you. Do not be afraid and do not make any decisions without His counsel."

Lay apostles, do you keep making the same mistakes and saying to yourself you will never do that again? Then, find yourself caving in to the same behavior you swore off? Stop. Ask yourself the same questions St. Matthew tells us to ask. Keep Jesus front and center in every little thing you do. Not only does it help to focus thoughts on Him, it helps us to stop certain behaviors which only lead us away from Him. Make decisions based on what He would do in any given situation. Go ahead. Give it a try. It's easier than you think!

Thank you, Lord, for the lesson my 9 month old grandson is teaching me about repetition. Even You had to repeat Yourself to bring comfort to your disciples.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: