Friday, May 3, 2013

I Want My Mom! by Justin S.

Today my guest blogger is Justin, a 25 year old young man who I just love to death! He is so full of the joy and love of Jesus, it is infectious! Thanks, Justin, for the beautiful message today:


I Want My Mom! by Justin S.

In today’s Gospel (John 14:6-14), Jesus said to Thomas:

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” Philip said to him,  “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?” 

Ok, so when I read this, two sentences stood out to me. “No one comes to the Father except through me. And, If you know me, then you will also know my Father.”  What struck me was this – my personal relationship with Jesus. But deeper than that, my personal relationship with Jesus through Mary, our Blessed Mother. During this month of May, many (and hopefully all) Catholic Churches had the “May Crowning” where they crowned the Blessed Mother, usually with beautiful flowers. This action corresponds to the 5th Glorious Mystery of the Rosary. “Coronation of Mary, Queen of Heaven and Earth.” This is beautiful and special for me and each of us. I’m currently 25 years old. I can think back on times in my life, specifically when I was younger, that I craved love and advice from my mom. Still, there were other times when I craved the attention from my father. Being blessed with good parents, I received love from both of them. My point is that different events throughout my life will impact me and there will always be the times when I "just want my mommy” or “need a heart to heart with my dad.” This is normal and good.  The same in the spiritual life (at least for me) is that often times I go running to Mary, my Heavenly Mother to ask for her intercession. Just like a little kid . . . this is mostly when I’ve done something wrong and I’d rather talk to my mom. Sin is a reality. We are going to sin. Sometimes we feel shame (not good) instead of sorrow. Mary helps me to have compassion on myself because that is how Jesus views me. He sees me, my sins, and the wound that caused my sins. So the Blessed Mother helps me see my sins and my weaknesses in my humanity that caused me to sin. This total acceptance of myself and my weaknesses should bring about humility = “I am imperfect.”  

Having this month of May being dedicated to Mary, Queen of Heaven and Earth really encouraged me to ask for her special grace and assistance in my spiritual life. As Mediatrix of all graces, Mary wants to help me. I need only ask.  Can I go directly to Jesus? Of course I can, but there are always times when I want to seek the advice of a friend, or priest, or pastor, or when “I just want my Mom!” Already I have benefitted from these special graces in May and know that we all can. Let us petition our Heavenly Mother to intercede for us, especially in knowing ourselves and accepting our flaws and weaknesses. Then we can proceed together in humility and peace. My personal relationship with Jesus really takes off in a good way when I approach Him in humility, and it is His Mother who helps get me there.

Mary, Queen of Apostles, pray for us.
____________________________________

I found the following quote which fits perfectly with Justin's blog post today from our Blessed Mother in Anne a lay apostle's book Serving in Clarity:

"This is the time of my Son. Dear apostle, how overjoyed I am at the loyalty He receives from this current band of followers. You are like apostles of the past in that you serve with consistency and joy. You are unique, though, given that you serve during a time when the enemy seeks to have a complete hold on this world. This attempt to overcome the world is bold. It insures that you will have to fight, as all apostles are called to fight. The difference for apostles in this time is the consistent level of resistance they face from the enemies of my Son. Consistent with the increased resistance is the increased grace, of course. Heaven and earth work together as in no other time. Yes, this is a time of great saints and great warriors but I speak of warriors not in the traditional sense of those who make and execute wars, but of those who fight and win the battle of the soul, which is the more difficult battle of overcoming self. I am so pleased with you. I am so grateful. A mother’s gratitude overflows from her heart in both expected and unexpected gifts. Such graces and blessings I obtain for you, dear little apostle. I am the queen of all apostles and I am your queen. I am not a distant queen, detached and regal. I am the queen of your heart, present and approachable. I work with you continually, in each day, to help you carry out my Son’s plan for you. Be quietly joyful on each day because your mother loves you and helps you in every moment."

Lay apostles, I am always blown away when I read or hear the perspective of young adults in todays world. Young men like Justin give me hope in the future. Having two grandsons, I pray they grow up to be good Catholic men like Justin. If I have anything to say about it, they will not only be good God-loving men, but lay apostles from the moment they can read!


Thank you, Justin, for such inspiration.

Thank you, Lord, for the beautiful young adults you have blessed me with in my life. Let others in darkness be inspired by the depth of faith Justin lives his life with on a daily basis. 

God bless,
Bonnie



No comments: