Monday, May 6, 2013

Persecution

High school . . . happy memory or misery? Mixed emotions arise when my mind ventures back to the late 70's. I had some wonderful friends with whom I am still in touch. And then, there were those who didn't make life very pleasant for me. I was the new girl from California the middle of my junior year when we moved to Colorado. (I was so angry at my father for moving when I was so close to graduating with all my childhood friends, when we crossed the Colorado border all of the sudden I dramatically became very short of breath, stating I couldn't breathe in the high altitude . . . my dad didn't buy it for a second!). Let's just say there were some very mean female jocks who didn't like me right off the bat. When I became friends with one of the cheerleaders, they went out of their way to let me know I didn't belong in their group. People can be so mean. But what it did was prepare me to raise my girls with bullies in mind. Explain to them hurt people hurt people. Years later, I now know Jesus was forming me to have the ability to withstand any persecution coming my way. Instances like this over time have forced me to focus on what is really important. And it has made me into the woman I am today . . . a Lay Apostle of Jesus Christ the Returning King! 

In todays Gospel (John 15:26—16:4A), Jesus prepares His disciples for the coming of the Holy Spirit and advises them to remain faithful:

Jesus said to his disciples:  “When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me. And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning.

“I have told you this so that you may not fall away. They will expel you from the synagogues; in fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you will think he is offering worship to God. They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me. I have told you this so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you.”


In Volume Five, St. Philomena asks us to rise above the ways of the world and stay focused on Christ:


"I understand what it is to suffer and I understand the temptation to comply with the desires of the world in order to escape notice and persecution. But that is not the way for us.As soldiers of Christ we must never fear the battle with the world. We will be noticed for our faith and I assure you, fellow suffering souls, that when you arrive in heaven you will be celebrated for any sacrifices you made in the name of Jesus Christ. You live in a time of uprising, so you must rise up. Look up to Jesus and say, “Jesus, notice me. I am here awaiting Your every request. I will carry heaven’s flag for a stretch.” Your offer will not go by the wayside because Jesus needs those who follow Him to do their share. Never fear the enemy’s reaction. The enemy blows hard at you when you serve Jesus but ultimately the enemy has no power."

Lay apostles, I am the last person to say "go ahead, persecute me!" But there is value in preparing to accept it in humility. Jesus gives us everything we need to endure any trial. Look at the Gospel today . . . He is not sugarcoating reality. When we begin to think we don't deserve mistreatment, think again. He may be preparing you for something greater, something you never knew you were capable of achieving . . .

Thank you, Lord, for the graces You have bestowed upon me over my life. I am truly thankful for every persecution as they have lead me closer and closer to You!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: