Monday, June 25, 2012

Preconceived Apprehensions

Experiences in my past have jaded me a bit.  Well, to be honest, jaded me a lot. Everything used to be black and white.  Either you did or you didn't, no shades of gray. But as I have aged and grown closer to Christ, the realization of pre-judging situations before they occur and people before I meet them are just that . . . judging.  Even though I only do it to protect myself from hurt and disappointment, it all boils down to this: I am turning a blind eye to opportunities He graciously places in my path. So, I have been working on going with the flow lately.  Expanding my horizons to the unfamiliar and allowing Him to take the lead. This is not a thought process I naturally possess . . . but, it is achievable.  If I would have been closed off to stepping out of my comfort zone this past weekend, I never would have spent time getting to know some incredibly loving Christians. People who will now be a constant in my life. Since dedicating myself to living for Him, miraculous things have and are occurring. Indeed, I still struggle.  But, hurt and disappointment are few and far between these days. I now see all the different shades of gray. 


In todays Gospel (Matthew 7:1-5), Jesus lovingly (yet firmly!) tells us to point the finger at ourselves first:



Jesus said to his disciples: "Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye? You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye."
And, Jesus shows us in the April 2007 Monthly Message the value of offering love instead of judgment:  
“My dear ones, it is through sharing My experiences that you learn to love others who carry crosses. There are times when your humanity leads you to judge another but because you have suffered, you offer compassion instead of condemnation. Each experience in your life, shared with Me, increases your holiness and your capacity for compassion. Think of the times when someone treated you with compassion when you expected condemnation. Think of the times in your life when someone treated you with kindness and support, overlooking a failure or a flaw. My friends, you do not always understand but it is the crosses you carry that enhance these heavenly capabilities in your soul. I know you struggle. I accept your weaknesses. Do not think that your anguish is a measure of your holiness. Do not think that because you find your cross heavy, you are not making progress. I am with you and I am advancing you, even while you groan with weariness.”

Lay apostles, lead with an open heart.  Be alert to those He has placed in your path. Because, with God, there are no coincidences. Only opportunities to grow in His grace and love.

Thank you, Lord, for the blessings You materialize right before my eyes. There is no other path to follow but Yours. Continue to remind me how important it is to abolish preconceived apprehensions!

God bless,
Bonnie


P.S.  How are you participating in the Fortnight for Freedom?  Are you visiting Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament if your parish offers it?  I am headed there in a few minutes and will keep all of you in my prayers.  

No comments: