Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Faith From Our Ancestors

Growing up, my parents were very involved in our church parish, Our Lady Queen of Martyrs in Ft. Lauderdale. The priests were a huge part of my life.  Several were close personal friends of the family. They were all very kind, loving men who knew my father needed a little extra support due to my mother's mental illness. As I was going through some of Mom's pictures the other day, I found this one:


Too funny! Only would a close personal friend allow a young girl to wear his collar, right?  I didn't remember ever seeing this picture until the other day. I look pretty proud wearing it and I'm sure I bugged him to let me put it on!  Seeing this picture reminded me of the faith my parents bestowed upon me at an early age.  I think God had some plans for my future. My love for Him never ceased during the good, bad and the ugly of my life. My parents gave me a gift which will last throughout all eternity. I pray I have passed the same gift to my daughters and continue to pass it on to my grandchildren.  

In todays first reading (2 Timothy 1:1-3, 6-12) Paul is writing a letter to a young man he spent  some time with behind bars. He is obviously very fond of Timothy and considers him dear. After reading this, I get the impression Timothy is a little apprehensive in proclaiming his faith in Jesus:


For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord, nor of me, a prisoner for his sake; but bear your share of hardship for the Gospel with the strength that comes from God.



Encouraging words for us all.  I remember a few years back, after I was set on fire by this apostolate, my son-in-law landed a job in Ft. Myers after he and my daughter received their Master's. They would have to reside with us for a few months until they found a place to live. One day I was speaking with my daughter about any concerns Kev would have living in my home.  She said, with a smile on her face, "Well, he thinks you are a Jesus freak!" Now, some people would be offended by that comment.  Not me!  I was so excited my love for Jesus was evident to others!  

In Volume Three, our Blessed Mother emphasizes now is not the time to be timid about your love for her Son:

"Wear your faith as the badge of honor that it is. You work for truth. You cannot work for truth and be ashamed of truth. This will never work. You must shout truth from the rooftops now and stand firmly behind it. I will show you how. I am not looking for anything that is either beyond your reach or outside of your capabilities. But I promise you, if you let us work in you, you will see accomplishments you never dreamed would be associated with yourself. This is a time for great confidence. This is a time for great faith. And this is a time when great trust is necessary. Ask for these graces and these graces will be yours. Do you again see the trend? This is a trend away from the superficial tenets of your world and a trend toward the one truth. The truth is God."

Today, lay apostles, speak about your love for Jesus.  Whether it be to a family member, a friend or a complete stranger, shout it from the rooftops.  And don't worry about what others think of you.  Be confident all of heaven is on your side!

Thank you, Lord, for the confidence to speak freely of my love for You!  Supply the words others need to hear, not what I think I should say. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: