Monday, June 1, 2020

Gospel Thoughts Today: It Is Finished

End of life . . . seems so final to those of us left behind losing a loved one. But in reality, it is only the beginning of eternity with Jesus for the believer. As one of my dearest friends faces waning days on this earth, my heart is both somber and joyful. I will feel the pain of losing one of the most Christ-centered women I have ever met. She believed in me and remained steadfast during a lot of ups and downs in my life. Years ago when I first became a lay apostle, I prayed earnestly for some good Catholic women in my life. Poof! Jesus placed her front and center. Her calm was a huge contrast to my "passionate" personality. Yet Jesus brought us together to further His Plan on this earth. She has truly been a sister to me . . . consistently without fail. So, yes, I will miss her terribly. And yet I feel so much joy for her . . . all her fidelity to Christ will finally be realized. One day she will see His Glorious Face and know all she suffered was worth every second of it. One day she will see our Blessed Mother who will comfort her and praise her for the motherhood they share. She will be free of the constraints her human body has afflicted her with for the last 4 years. Freedom . . . finally. And as a lay apostle, we know the thin veil between heaven and earth. I know when I call on her for extra prayers, she will organize the prayer warriors in her midst.  I love you, my sweet dear sister. Thank you for all the love, guidance and support you have provided me over the las 12 years. I am a better woman and Christian because of you.

In today's Gospel (John 19:25-34), Jesus was making sure those He left behind were taken care of:

Standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary of Magdala. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple there whom he loved, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son.” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his home. After this, aware that everything was now finished, in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I thirst.” There was a vessel filled with common wine. So they put a sponge soaked in wine on a sprig of hyssop and put it up to his mouth. When Jesus had taken the wine, he said, “It is finished.” And bowing his head, he handed over the spirit.

Now since it was preparation day, in order that the bodies might not remain on the cross on the sabbath, for the sabbath day of that week was a solemn one, the Jews asked Pilate that their legs be broken and they be taken down. So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and then of the other one who was crucified with Jesus. But when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs, but one soldier thrust his lance into his side, and immediately Blood and water flowed out.

The following quote from from Jesus in the Monthly Message of November 1, 2011 gives me tremendous comfort:

"My friends, often there is confusion in human relationships which causes terrible suffering. This part of the cross is heavy, indeed, and I, Myself, suffered this. It is during these times that I comfort you with the greatest and most tender graces because I understand the confusion which accompanies abandonment. For Me, it was important to remind myself that My Father would not abandon Me. For you, this is also important. I will never leave you. If you feel that you have been abandoned by someone you love, either through death or rejection, then you must come to Me for comfort. I will remind you that in heaven there will be no tears, no grieving, no heartbreak. In heaven you will be reunited in love with those who also love Me. Never worry about those who have gone before you. Pray for them and trust Me. The family of God is vast and includes people you know and people you do not know. You will rejoice in heaven and, even now, heaven rejoices in you."

Lay apostles, during this very chaotic time, life still goes on. How are you spending your remaining time on this earth? We never know our expiration date. Live like it's today.

Thank you, Lord, for providing me with such a special women to be part of my life. I bet all of heaven is waiting in anticipation of her homecoming!

God bless,
Bonnie



No comments: