Friday, June 5, 2020

Gospel Thoughts Today: Critical Thinking

As I pondered the Gospel today, I just couldn't quite put my finger on the word I was searching for to describe the way Jesus was teaching the crowd. Lots of words crossed my mind. Ironic? No. Clever? Yes, but not what I was looking for. So I read the Gospel to Jay. He said, "It's the Socratic Method." Hmmm. Didn't exactly know the meaning, so I Googled it. From Wikipedia:

Socratic method, also known as method of elenchus, elenctic method, or Socratic debate, is named after the classical Greek philosopher Socrates. It is a form of inquiry and discussion between individuals, based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to illuminate ideas.

Perfect! Actually, this is what we were taught in nursing school . . . critical thinking. Asking the right questions leading to an answer. This brings to mind my marriage to Jay. In the beginning of our relationship, we both knew what we wanted in a partner. We asked all the right questions. At times, it required bouncing ideas back and forth to come to a solution we both felt comfortable with. Every time the light bulb came on, we thanked the Lord for enlightening us! So, whenever we disagree on something, the Socratic Method comes in to play! (Thanks, hubby, for your brilliant knowledge base!)

Today's Gospel (Mark 12:35-37) is one I don't think I have ever read. But it is clear the lesson Jesus was teaching was heard:

As Jesus was teaching in the temple area he said, “How do the scribes claim that the Christ is the son of David? David himself, inspired by the Holy Spirit, said: The Lord said to my lord, ‘Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies under your feet.’ David himself calls him ‘lord’; so how is he his son?” The great crowd heard this with delight.

In the Monthly Message of June 2012, Jesus prepares us to live holier lives focused on Him:

"The details of your life can be discerned with me over time by examining your circumstances with the Spirit I have sent to you. There is no need to be anxious about My will. You will know it in each day and in each day My will can be noted in the duties and opportunities for service. Are you sitting with Me quietly? Are you asking Me to help you become holier? Are you offering Me your will? Or are you serving in the way you desire without willingness to change and adapt when I need you to adapt? My friends, your life will always be changing. This should not alarm you because I do not change and My love for you does not change. Be at peace. Accept that if you are not open to change then you are not open to becoming holier. All is well and I am holding you very close to Me."

Lay apostles, do you question what you read in the Bible? Or do you believe with blind faith? Me? I'm the blind faith kind of person. But, I've seen many ask the tough questions, gaining more insight and stronger faith as a result. The answers to every question are right there in the Bible. They are in the Volumes. So, use the Socratic Method . . . it can only make your faith stronger!

Thank you, Lord, for my husband's brilliance and love. Please bless all who question, leading them right into Your Loving Arms!

God bless,

Bonnie

No comments: