Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Scandals

Recently an article called "Give us Barabbas" by Fr. Michael Orsi, a Chaplain and Research Fellow at Ave Maria Law resurfaced from 2013. It is worth the read and still very relevant today:


When Catholic institutions don't practice Catholicism, why call yourself a Catholic institution? Could it be to lure good, trusting Catholic parents into thinking their child will be safely immersed in their beloved faith while away from home? Are parents footing the bill for a prestigious Catholic education where they choose a man promoting abortion legislation in Ireland over their own Archbishop, Cardinal Sean Patrick O’Malley? Woe to those who lead their flock away from Christ.

In today's Gospel (John 17:11B-19), Jesus asks His Father to protect us from evil, and fill us with the Truth:

Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed, saying: “Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are one. When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me, and I guarded them, and none of them was lost except the son of destruction, in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you. I speak this in the world so that they may share my joy completely. I gave them your word, and the world hated them, because they do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world but that you keep them from the Evil One. They do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world. Consecrate them in the truth. Your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world. And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.”

In Anne a lay apostle's book Serving in Clarity, she describes a day which began in darkness . . . then Jesus renews with His Light:

"I then considered the world where goodness is mocked and condemned. In its place the world elevates and applauds selfishness and base behavior. Those who truly represent Christ are targeted by even some who purport to serve Him because in their hearts they serve themselves. Such duplicity! Falseness! Contempt for innocence! How on earth are we to proceed in such an environment? I went to Mass seeking the One I cannot find. There was no Mass. A man also seeking Christ this morning winked at me and said, 'We should have read the bulletin.' His friendliness allowed the smallest bit of light into my heart. Jesus, who hides from me, began to speak. He said, 'Anne, come home to Me and write. The enemy plans destruction. I, in My mercy, plan salvation for My children. This consoles Me.' Back at home, I closed my eyes at the request of the Savior, listening to His voice. I experience no joy from this. It is like getting a telegram in the sense that I am denied any consolation from it. God wills this for many reasons at this time, the most important of which is that I must experience these moments exactly as other lay apostles experience them. I rested in my misery. Jesus told me to pray. I said, 'Lord, please give me renewed courage. Send me greater strength. Give me clarity in my role in the Kingdom on this day so that I may not disappoint You.' I lifted my head and began to write and as I did, I felt a return of courage and strength. I actually felt I could continue where prior to the prayer, I really felt I would lay my head down and quit. Jesus said this: My apostles will be sustained. Have no fear that I will allow an apostle to perish in battle. I will sustain My apostles with a constant stream of courage and strength in this new time, ensuring that each apostle desiring to serve will have exactly the graces needed to do so. Anne, these words should fill each apostle with joy."

Lay apostles, pray. There is scandal all over the news today. Some things we aren't too surprised about and saw coming. Others are just plain sad. Pray as Jesus did in the Gospel today asking for consecration in the Truth. Pray for those who know not what they do.

Thank you, Lord, for faith to meet the challenges and difficulties occurring in the U.S. right now. Guide my writing to speak what you would have me say.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: