Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: God's Plan vs. Mine

"Somehow God hasn't seen my business plan yet!" Jay says lightheartedly when things don't proceed exactly as he anticipated. We both know His business plan is much better than ours. It's all about trusting Our Creator knows best. There are many twists and turns in life. Looking back, I can see how Jesus gently (and sometimes not so gently when I wasn't listening!) changed my direction when I was headed into disaster or toward something which took my attention away from Him.  As I mature in age and thought, I inherit more clarity and wisdom the Volumes/Gospels provide. And, those twists and turns become a roller coaster ride (ok, not a fan of roller coasters, so let's say the "It's a Small World" ride at DisneyWorld!) full of adventure, joy, peace, and challenges God has prepared us for in our lives so far. Remember, He will provide any graces we require . . . all we need to do is trust any outcome is His Will leading us to His Sacred Heart!

Todays Gospel (Mark 6:34-44) is a perfect example of trusting what He says:

When Jesus saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.  By now it was already late and his disciples approached him and said, “This is a deserted place and it is already very late.  Dismiss them so that they can go to the surrounding farms and villages and buy themselves something to eat.”  He said to them in reply, “Give them some food yourselves.” But they said to him, “Are we to buy two hundred days’ wages worth of food and give it to them to eat?”  He asked them, “How many loaves do you have? Go and see.”  And when they had found out they said, “Five loaves and two fish.”  So he gave orders to have them sit down in groups on the green grass.  The people took their places in rows by hundreds and by fifties.  Then, taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before the people; he also divided the two fish among them all. They all ate and were satisfied. And they picked up twelve wicker baskets full of fragments and what was left of the fish. Those who ate of the loaves were five thousand men.

In Anne a lay apostle's book The Mist of Mercy, she describes one of her experiences provided to guide us on our journey toward heaven:

"Jesus began to talk about His mercy and those who promote His mercy. He brought me to a woman who had spread His mercy on earth. Jesus explained that it is important to talk about His great mercy, but it is also important to show His mercy through our actions and even our thoughts. We must be non-judgmental of others. We must strive to be tolerant and kind because Jesus is tolerant and kind. If we show mercy to others, clearly it will be shown to us. This woman I saw in the mist was so lovable. I felt a great happiness in being near her. I understood that others on earth had loved her very much. She had glasses and I understood that she died near the age of sixty-six years old. She was lighthearted. Jesus cherished this woman. I could feel it. He had warmth and tenderness and, I have to say, delight when He said to me, “Listen to her. Listen to her prayers.” She cheerfully thanked Jesus for everything and everyone. She thanked Him for His mercy to her family, to her friends, to everyone at her job in a school where she worked. She thanked Him for His mercy to herself and to the world. She repeatedly thanked Him for everything under the sun and beyond. This woman did not care at all where she was. The mist was just fine in that she took no notice of her progress or lack of. She remembered all of her friends and their little ailments, their children’s difficulties, their fears.

She was detached from herself so much on earth that this purgatory experience was just more of the same in that she prayed on earth and now she was praying here. I looked at Jesus and said, “Why is she here, Lord? She sounds like a saint.” Jesus replied lightly, “She had an addiction and she is separating from it. Anne, what is different about the mist around her?” I looked and saw that the mist was moving quickly past her. Some souls are in a mist where there is no movement. Others rest in a mist where there is slow, gentle movement. The mist here seemed to be flying past this soul, not that she cared. She took no notice at all because she was so concerned with getting all the graces she could for other souls. Soon, as we watched, Jesus spoke to her.

“Rise, My beloved.”

This woman opened her eyes in the light of the park and stood up with complete confidence and joy. After a lovely smile in our direction, she spied a group and immediately made her way to them. This was the funniest experience because she accepted her lightning fast move through this merciful mist as her due, as completely consistent with her expectations. This was how she understood Christ to be, merciful. She expected no less.

Jesus laughed. I laughed too, in plain joy. I said, “Lord, how could You do anything else?” Jesus said, “Exactly, little Anne. How could I do anything else? This soul and all like her disarm Me with their trust. My heart has no protection, no armor against souls such as this. She is so convinced of My goodness and of My mercy, that she comes to the Kingdom in delight. I, in turn, experience delight in her. I cannot help but give her all she requests. While she served on earth, I answered her prayers with great generosity. She trusts Me, Anne. Her trust is a balm to My wounded heart. When I experience man’s ingratitude, I look to souls such as this to console Me. She told others about My mercy, she showed others My mercy, and when she died in her body, she experienced My mercy, as you have just seen. Anne, this woman did not judge others. She talked about Me as a loving and merciful God. She was entitled to every bit of mercy she received. Tell all souls that they should talk about My mercy, practice My mercy toward others, and when they come to Me, they will experience My mercy themselves. As you have seen, I cannot resist a soul such as this.”

Lay apostles, whether it's struggling with finances, tough decisions, or a lack of direction, turn to Jesus. Tell Him your problems while trusting He is listening. And He is listening, working to send the graces needed to get through your suffering. There is a whole bunch of heavenly coordinating taking place. Be patient your answer is right around the corner. In the meantime, keep learning from Scripture, the Volumes and anything bringing you closer to Christ. Most importantly, stay connected to Him through prayer. Strive to bring Him joy!

Thank you, Lord, for providing love, joy, and peace in my life. Help me remain connected to You through prayer and trust . . . especially when I falter!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: