Monday, May 26, 2014

Time To Be Bold, Lay Apostles!

Memorial Day . . . a time to remember those bold enough to fight for our freedom. It's looking adversity in the face with the end goal in sight. As Christians, we must adopt the same mentality . . . only our end goal is heaven.With all the criticism and "political correctness" in the world, if we aren't defending Christ, who will? Because of this mission, we are armed with weapons to fight spiritual warfare . . . we have the words of Jesus Himself! I am in no way a theologian. I cannot quote Scripture on the fly. But what I can do is try to possess the gentleness, kindness, and nonjudgmental love He asks of His lay apostles. I can defend Him when others assault His Church and His Teachings. Every one of us has the ability to stand up for Our Crucified Jesus!  It's time to be bold, lay apostles! Don't be silent any more!

Todays Gospel (John 15:26 - 16:4A) prepares us for any adversity we may face as Christians:

Jesus said to his disciples:  “When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me. And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning.

“I have told you this so that you may not fall away. They will expel you from the synagogues; in fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you will think he is offering worship to God. They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me. I have told you this so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you.”


In Anne a lay apostle's book Lessons in Love, she calls us to be as bold as the original Twelve were:

"I believe Jesus is hurting for each soul who has fallen away from His Church. There is the greatest temptation to become angry at the behavior of some who have fallen away. Sometimes they are remarkably arrogant. One man recently said to a devout Catholic woman, “Don’t you know that the Catholic Church is the Church you come away from, not the Church you join?” One is tempted to say, “I beg your pardon. I am a Catholic and you know it. Have you any manners at all?” Truly, apostles, one does wonder when it became acceptable to openly insult us and our faith. If we dared to openly insult the faith of another we would hear about it in a hurry. The apostles were put to death for their faith so I suppose there is huge precedent for being persecuted. But here is the difference. The apostles vigorously defended their faith. There is often deafening silence from Catholics today. As stated, Jesus wants His Church vigorously defended. I think we had better start defending our faith, but with gentleness, humility and good manners." 

Lay apostles, have you been in a situation where Jesus was being insulted or mocked? Did you speak up or were you silently offended? I've been there. But it was before I had the gumption to defend His Sacred Heart. Today, let's choose to defend Jesus when others mock Him. All we have to say is how much we love Him. It really is that simple.

Thank you, Lord, for calling me to be bold for You! Please continue to help me refine my words and actions, so I reflect You, not my own intentions.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: