Thursday, March 13, 2014

Lent Day Nine - Do Unto Others

"Do unto others what you would have them do unto you." I can't tell you how many times I heard that as a kid. Of course, I did have a little sister to pick on . . . probably why my mother always said it to me. My sister did try to retaliate once in a while by hiding one of my Barbies; or as teens, gloating when a pimple emerged in a prominent place on my face, while her skin was perfectly clear (and always was, darn it!). So what if you treat others as you would like to be treated and all you get is a slap in the face? How do you respond? As Jesus would tell us . . . respond with love. Which in my case, is holding my tongue, not speaking a word! 

In todays Gospel (Matthew 7:7-12), Jesus reminds us how understanding Our Father in heaven is:

Jesus said to his disciples: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asked for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asked for a fish? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him.

“Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets.”


In the Monthly Message from February 2008, Jesus inspires and encourages us to treat others as He did:



"My friend, heaven has accomplished many things with your service to the Kingdom. Shall I tell you what we are achieving together? First of all, we have increased your holiness. It is true, dear apostle. With your cooperation, I have been able to advance you in virtue. Consider where you were in the holiness walk when you first committed to serving as My apostle. Consider where you are now. You will see that you have advanced, even though you also see that you have additional work to do in this regard. I want you to understand, though, that progress has been made so that you will rejoice and have hope for additional progress. This is good for you and good for heaven. Next, your service to the Kingdom has been used to bring light to other souls. Think for a moment. Is it not true that you have tried to treat others more like I treated others? Is it not true that there have been times when you returned love for hostility? Have you not discovered that you view even your enemies with greater compassion? Think dear apostles. Have you shared My merciful message with others? Have they benefited? Without your cooperation, this could not have happened." 

Lay apostles, how did your day go today? I met a little resistance with this guy when I was ready to stop looking for gators and head back home after a walk around the block:



My super cool grandson Colton!


He pretty much has me wrapped around his little finger . . . so after convincing him we could watch for airplanes at Grammie's house, he pleasantly agreed! Today was a good day.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me the importance of leading with love, not reacting with negativity. Continue to show me ways I can improve!

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: