Monday, March 24, 2014

Lent Day 20 - In My Own Town

About a month ago, Jay and I decided to check out the new library in downtown Ft. Myers.I had brought a copy of my book (Can You Text Me Directions?) and headed for the young adult (YA)/teen section of the library. A woman sat behind a desk and Jay encouraged me to ask her about having my book available for local teens/YA. She seemed nice enough and seemed very excited about my book. She went on and on about another local YA writer who wrote a book on the paranormal. I was hopeful the library would be supportive. The librarian said she would take it home and read it and get back to me in a few days. Well, as you can guess, I have never heard from her. I have sent her several emails as follow up with no response. My initial reaction was surprise/frustration that a paranormal book was promoted while my Christian book wasn't. But then, Jay lovingly pointed out we must move on as Jesus did in todays Gospel (Luke 4:24-30). As disappointing as it is, Jesus is very quick to show me where to go next. I just received a beautiful letter from a woman up north whose brother I met at a business lunch with Jay. He had asked me if I could send a copy of my book to his sister. She leads (non-Catholic) a youth group in her local church. She was so impressed with the book and said she was excited to share it with her young people! So, the lesson is . . . keep being the invitation, keep evangelizing, and keep my eyes on Christ . . . for only He knows the way!

Jesus said to the people in the synagogue at Nazareth: “Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Indeed, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah when the sky was closed for three and a half years and a severe famine spread over the entire land. It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. Again, there were many lepers in Israel during the time of Elisha the prophet; yet not one of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.” When the people in the synagogue heard this, they were all filled with fury. They rose up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town had been built, to hurl him down headlong. But he passed through the midst of them and went away.


In Volume Two, Jesus beautifully and perfectly gives us reason to let go of disappointment quickly and move on: 

"Perhaps you have a disappointment today. Taken alone, without My assistance, you might feel down, sad and discouraged. If pride is a problem for you, and many suffer from pride, you might not share your sadness and disappointment with even another soul. It remains on your poor heart and, after a time, this turns to bitterness. Now, earthly life being what it is, and human beings being flawed, as they are in their search for perfection, you encounter yet another disappointment or betrayal. Pride asserts itself and again you do not adequately share your grief. Another patch of disappointment turns to bitterness and covers another area of your poor little heart. My child, when this process continues, you have a heart enclosed in bitterness. A heart needs love, in the same way your lungs need oxygen. Your heart was designed this way, dearest, and if your heart is enclosed, the love is blocked off. How handicapped you are in the spiritual sense. How it grieves Me to see you so disturbed and unhappy. My little one, I am coming to clean every mark from your heart so that you will love freely, as I love. Do not think this is an impossible task. I am Jesus. I am God. I can cleanse your heart in no time at all if you are willing to let Me. I will restore order to your soul, I will adjust your thinking, and I will place the kind of love in your heart that is so genuine and abundant that this love reaches your eyes."


Lay apostles, the more I read the words of Jesus in the Gospels and in the Volumes, the quicker I give up disappointment and move on. The old Bonnie hung on to disappointments taking them personally. Not anymore. I choose to focus on where my next adventure is . . . and marvel at how He gets me there!

Thank you, Lord, for turning disappointments into acceptance so quickly in my heart now. Most importantly, thanks for the kick in the behind when I let it get to me!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: