Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A True Spiritual Leader

This morning I woke up with a sick feeling in my stomach. I am so saddened by not only the outcome of this election, but even more so by the fact so many rejected life and Godly morals. At breakfast with Jay today, something happened to me which has never happened before.  I realized I was sitting next to a true spiritual leader.  I was heavyhearted, and his first words were, "This is good news, really. It means we have another four more years of working hard for Christ!" I was so overwhelmed with love for this man!  I could hardly believe I was in the presence of a man I knew existed in my heart, but never experienced personally. With tears streaming down my face, Jay went on to talk about the work cut out for us as a couple and with our families.  Most importantly, he reminded me God is in control and will use this outcome for good!


In todays first reading (Phil 2:12-18), Paul the apostle has some good advice, especially today with the outcome of this election:


My beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For God is the one who, for his good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work. Do everything without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine like lights in the world, as you hold on to the word of life, so that my boast for the day of Christ may be that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. But, even if I am poured out as a libation upon the sacrificial service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with all of you. In the same way you also should rejoice and share your joy with me.

In Anne a lay apostle's book Serving in Clarity, she addresses a very important issue when viewing our Catholic faith and becoming spiritual leaders:


"We must begin to see the guidance and direction of the Church as God-given for our protection, as opposed to man-given in order to control and stifle us. I have heard it said that the Catholic Church is all about rules. Why is it that other faiths can have rules and it is viewed as acceptable but the Catholic Church’s guidelines are seen as objectionable? Catholicism is, after all, a faith. The Church teaches us the way. There is intended an order and peace about the way we are taught to follow Jesus and treat each other. The guidelines we are asked to follow are not punitive, but protective in nature. The Church is warning us, cautioning us, advising us and attempting to lead us. The Church is the vehicle through which God seeks to counsel His flock. Consider that if lambs rejected the shepherd, they would be lost and vulnerable. Should the lambs turn their back on their shepherd or react in rage when the shepherd draws them down a given path? Wouldn’t it be ridiculous of the lambs to accuse the shepherd of stifling them? Controlling them? Wouldn’t it be a foolish lamb that bites the shepherd when the shepherd tries to bring him to a safe place? I am comparing us to lambs, as Jesus does, because we are vulnerable, as well as lovable. If we reject the way, the direction that Jesus is giving us, we are at the mercy of the world and He cannot protect us. A smart lamb, a thinking lamb would say to himself, “Hmm. The shepherd knows what he is doing. He has been put in charge of this flock and no doubt knows the way home. It is in my best interest to follow Him and encourage others to follow Him so that we can all arrive home safely.” In each of our souls let us cultivate a spirit of obedience even as we accept and understand that our life today may not match the perfect obedience lived by Jesus. In other words, we all accept that we can probably do a little bit better."

Lay apostles, what can you do a little better to further His Kingdom today? If you voted for Obama, you have a lot of work to do.  Learn about why abortion destroys not only the life of the child, but the life of the mother (and father in many cases). Learn about why religious freedom is so important for each and every one of us.  Open your eyes over the next four years and educate yourself on why the Church believes the way it does. Just because you don't like the rules, doesn't mean you get to make them up.  Can you imagine what would happen in the NFL if players didn't have rules and penalties? Well, it's a great analogy to think about in terms of our country. The rules are there to protect us, not put us in harms way.  Think about it.

Thank you, Lord, for the God-loving, spiritual leader in Jay You felt I was worthy to experience in this life on earth. Thank you for the blessings and lessons of the next four years.  I promise to remain joyful always! Although not in my business plan, I trust You know what You are doing! 

God bless,
Bonnie

P.S.  A little note for Jay: I love you with all my heart and soul! I love the life we are creating together!!!  God has His Hands all over this!!! We are so blessed!

No comments: