Monday, October 15, 2012

The Problem With Signs

Jay. Whit, Kev and Colt. FSU football game. Final score over Boston College: 51-7. Couldn't have asked for a better weekend. The surreal site of my daughter and her husband holding their 2 month old son by the fountain we last photographed at their FSU graduation 5 years ago made me realize how fast time flies. 



And, how important this election is for the future of my grandsons. The 6 hour drive to Tallahassee with Jay was full of interesting conversations, laughter, and googling restaurants as dinner time approached (just when I would google a restaurant within a few exits, we would start talking about something else and I would see the exit flash by . . . think this happened at least 3 times before deciding on Pouncey's in Perry, Florida!). Aside from signs about hotels and fast food, we saw quite a few large anti-Obama billboards. Not one pro-Obama. 

One of the signs we saw along I-75

Debate the issues all you want.  Post all the signs for and against Obama or Romney. But, what it boils down to for all Christians is . . . which man represents God and furthering His Kingdom? Which man represents all that is good in America?  Is it the man who thinks late-term abortion is okay or the man who values life? Is it the man who refuses to put his hand over his heart at the Pledge of Allegiance or the man who does because he is proud to be an American? 

In todays Gospel (Luke 11:29-32), Jesus reminds us we have all we need to get to heaven. It's time to stop asking for signs: 

While still more people gathered in the crowd, Jesus said to them, "This generation is an evil generation; it seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it, except the sign of Jonah. Just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so will the Son of Man be to this generation. At the judgment the queen of the south will rise with the men of this generation and she will condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and there is something greater than Solomon here. At the judgment the men of Nineveh will arise with this generation and condemn it, because at the preaching of Jonah they repented, and there is something greater than Jonah here."

In the July 2007 Monthly Message, Jesus asks us to remain peaceful despite the signs: 

"Humanity was created to live on earth connected to God. My apostles, even though you struggle, you remain connected to Me. I am able to heal you and send love through you. The signs of My presence are all around you, even though you struggle. Believe this. If you look at a person who has rejected Me, you will see signs of that rejection. If you look at a world that has rejected Me, you will also see signs. My beloved ones, when you see signs that God has been rejected, you must remain peaceful. I, Jesus, have told you that change is necessary. I, Jesus, have told you that I desire change. I do not abandon you and I do not abandon the world. I have many friends in this world and you are among them. You trust Me, I know. I will honour the trust you have placed in Me. I will bring all things to the good, both in your life and in the world. I, the Blameless One, have never betrayed another and I will not betray you. Think often on the promises I have made to you. I have said I will never leave you. I have said I will protect My interests in your soul. I have said I will pursue conversion of your loved ones. During this time, I want each apostle to consider these promises. Serve Me in steadiness, of course, but also, serve Me in peace."

Lay apostles, when you walk into the voting booth November 5th, vote for Jesus. Vote for what this country was founded on . . . Christian values.  Don't make your decision based on your view of social issues, base it on Christ's view of them. I can't imagine Jesus voting for killing of the unborn . . . so why would you even consider it? 

Thank you, Lord, for Your consoling words in a chaotic world. Help me to continue evangelizing for You and focus on Your view of the world, not on my own selfish view of what makes me feel better about myself. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: