Friday, October 12, 2012

Needing People

Joyce and Paul.  Two true servants of God. Two very dear friends who would do anything for me . . . and vice versa. We have helped each other in many ways over the years. They brought me Milka chocolate bars from their trip to Germany.  I kept my mouth shut when Paul realized he forgot his driver's license as we pulled up to the airport passenger drop off (sorry Paul . . . had to out you!).  We have gone through caregiving for parents, lending a helping hand when needed.  There were many times I prayed for help during my caregiving days, and these two people would show up.  Talk about asking and receiving! They are gifts from God, and I am thankful every day they are in my life.  

In the Gospel reading for 11Oct2012 (Luke 11:5-13), Jesus shows us God is ready and waiting to bestow His gifts upon us.  All we have to do is ask:

Jesus said to his disciples: "Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,' and he says in reply from within, 'Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.' I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence.

"And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?" 


In Heaven Speaks to Soldiers, St. Augustine encourages us to ask in order to receive:

"I am going to begin a special prayer right now. I am asking Jesus to give you a small glimpse of the joy that awaits you in heaven. I am asking Jesus to grant this to you because I want you to be filled with hope and peace. When you experience the smallest taste of this joy, you walk differently through each moment. Sit quietly as Jesus places this in your heart. You know He is with you. You feel Him in your soul. Ask Him to come into your soul and remain with you. Jesus, in His mercy and love, will not refuse such an invitation."

Lay apostles, what is it you need today?  Hope?  Encouragement?  Whatever it is, invite Jesus to be on your team.  He so badly wants you to make Him a part of your life . . . not a passing thought.  Walking with Jesus is like walking with gel inserts on a long hike . . . it's comfortable, easier, and motivates you to make it to your final destination!

Thank you, Lord, for good friends who encourage and support me through thick and thin.  Please continue to alert me to others needs when I am distracted by my own.

God bless,
Bonnie 





No comments: