Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Prayer Life

Have you ever been too tired to pray? Yes, I was guilty of this in the past. Going to bed, I usually had a long list of people and things I needed to pray for. On occasional nights, when I knew I was drifting off, I would say a quick Our Father, feeling a little guilty. Since I have been writing full time, I am dedicated to the prayer life I always wanted. I know now all it takes is practice. And routine. After reading todays Gospel (Luke 11:1-4), I know He appreciates every effort we make:

Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples." He said to them, "When you pray, say:

Father, hallowed be your name, your Kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread
and forgive us our sins for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us, and do not subject us to the final test."


In Volume Two, Jesus lovingly shows us He is waiting with open arms:


"Faith is a gift, my dear one. I wish to give this gift to you. But you must turn to Me so that I may. My heart beats only with love for you. I can promise you that I will not reproach you. I will help you understand that only joy and light is suitable for a child of God. You will return to Us one day. Let Us make that the most joyful day of your life. Come to Me, My child, and I will show you how. You say, “Jesus, I forget how to pray.” My child, does a small one forget how to cry when he is hurt? Of course not. Come before Me and cry out your pain, your hurt, and your fear. We need not do it all in one day, but take the first step to Me by coming in front of Me. Put yourself in My Eucharistic presence and I will do the rest. The work will come from Me. I will move you back swiftly to that place that has been reserved for only you in My Sacred Heart."

Lay apostles, what does your prayer life look like?  Take time in the morning to read Scripture, pray the Rosary, or just say the Our Father.  Acknowledge and thank Him for the day ahead.  As a lay apostle, I always say the Allegiance Prayer and the Morning Offering.  It only takes about 25 seconds:


Allegiance Prayer
Dear God in Heaven, I pledge my allegiance to You. I give You my life, my work and my heart. In turn, give me the grace of obeying Your every direction to the fullest possible extent. Amen.

Morning Offering
Oh Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer You the prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins, and for the intentions of the Holy Father. Amen

Thank you, Lord, for igniting my prayer life through writing this daily blog. By beginning my days and ending my nights with You, You remain with me always. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: