Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gumption

The Holiday is one of my favorite movies. I am always a sucker for love stories. But watching it last night, I could really identify with Kate Winslet's character. She is in love with a man who says and does all the right things in her mind. She brushes off and makes excuses for his bad behavior. Then out of the blue finds out he is engaged to another woman! A great line from this movie is,

"He let you go. This is not a hard one to figure out. Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend."

Loneliness is difficult and we tend to accept bad behavior to feel connected to someone romantically. We all want to be loved, and when we don't have a significant other to provide that love, we tend to lower our expectations. But, we don't have to!!! There is one Man who will never let us down and love us unconditionally . . . Jesus! In Volume One, Jesus tells us:

"I am here, dear soul. You need only look into your heart. I ache for you, for your pain, for your loneliness, for your isolation. Each soul feels alone at times and understands that human consolation is empty. They must seek spiritual or heavenly consolation. If you feel a stirring inside, it is your soul, seeking Me. Answer your soul, My dear lost one, for you will find Me waiting and I will solve all of your problems. I can work in you in miraculous ways if only you will allow Me. You have sought other consolations, which have disappointed you. Now try Me. I am here. I love you. I await you."

Kate Winslet's character develops what they call gumption. She begins to value herself and her eyes are opened. We all need to be the Leading Ladies (or Men) of our own life. We will always have a spiritual partner in Jesus despite our marital status. Let's live in His Light and know we are loved despite our faults.

Lord, thank you for reminding me I am valuable and worth loving. My gumption is now restored!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: