Thursday, December 8, 2011

Feast of the Immaculate Conception

Today we celebrate the Solemnity of The Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. When I pray the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary, which begins with the angel Gabriel visiting Mary to let her know she will give birth to the Son of God, I always think about her initial reaction. Was she scared? Worried what others would think about her becoming pregnant when she and Joseph weren't married yet? Yes, she was scared and troubled by what the angel told her. Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High . . ." How did she respond after she was given the news as to how this was going to happen? Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word." (Luke 1:26-38)

She said yes. And didn't look back. No regrets. Obeyed God. Ready for whatever life threw at her. She didn't try to control the situation saying, "Hey wait a minute, Gabriel. Can't Joseph and I get married first?" Her steadfast faith is worth striving for.

In Volume Two, Mary provides motherly comfort and advice:

"Dearest children, nestled in my Immaculate Heart, you must live your lives joyfully. Jesus, my beloved Son, has given you everything you need to become true servants. In order to have peace on this earth, you must serve Him, who is all light, all goodness. I am His mother. I am also your mother. Call on me often, little children of this world. I have helped many souls reach heaven and I will help you. Confide your fears to me and I will console you. A motherly heart understands each weakness in her children and can help her children overcome habits that distract them from their union with God."

Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with a heavenly Mother who keeps constant vigil over me and all her children. Help me to trust in You as Mary did.

God bless,

Bonnie



No comments: