Friday, March 3, 2017

Lent Day 3 - Mourn

Weekly Adoration is invaluable. It's water to a thirsty soul . . . quiet time for just Jesus and me. My typical hour consists of first, the Rosary. Then, going through all family members/friends and praying for any intentions they may have or need. The hour usually flys by quickly. 

For Christmas this year, my daughter Whitney and my grandson Colt and granddaughter Savannah made me a Rosary. It bears the names of 4 little human beings I love and treasure with all my heart!


This past Tuesday Jay and I were visiting the Blessed Sacrament. I prayed my Rosary as I always do. Each decade I say a prayer for the grandchild whose name is colorfully displayed. After finishing the Sorrowful Mysteries, something made me get up to light candles, which I do sometimes, but not every visit. I felt drawn to light 4 candles specifically for my daughter Whitney, son-in-law Kevin, Colton and Savannah. As I approached my seat next to Jay, he whispered Kevin was calling my cell. By the time I reached for my phone, Kevin was calling Jay's cell. He stepped out and took the call. Jay returned and motioned for me to grab my things and come out. I knew something was wrong. Our baby Savannah (2 yrs old) was en route to the hospital via ambulance.  She had spiked a fever and became cyanotic (turning blue). We met them at the ER to find out it was a febrile seizure (A febrile seizure, also known as a fever fit or febrile convulsion, is a seizure associated with a high body temperature but without any serious underlying health issue. They most commonly occur in children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years). On the drive home, I could not stop thanking Our Merciful Lord for quick recovery and that this was not something life threatening. 

After reading today's Gospel (Matthew 9:14-15), the word "mourn" struck me . . . one minute my sweet grandbaby is in the ER, the next day I was playing Barbies with her as I gave her a bath. I was overwhelmed with gratitude and thanksgiving in that moment and that's why the word "mourn" stood out today. Each day should be filled with thankfulness for our loved ones because, in a blink, any one of us can be called home. Why spend the time mourning what could be when we have them flesh and blood with us today?

The disciples of John approached Jesus and said, "Why do we and the Pharisees fast much, but your disciples do not fast?" Jesus answered them, "Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them?

The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast."

In Volume Four, Jesus tells us to mourn no more:

"Children of the world, look toward the light. Raise your eyes to all that is goodness. I come to you with joy and celebration. The time for mourning is past because God has taken His children back to His breast, never to be parted."

Lay apostles, let us celebrate all the Lord has blessed us with. We are surrounded by love always. God IS Love. He never leaves our side. Even in our darkest (or scariest) times, He is there to comfort if we only let Him. 

Thank you, Lord, for healing our baby girl Savannah. Please continue to protect her and our three grandsons so they grow up to live lives of faith and love of You.  

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: