Friday, March 24, 2017

Lent Day 24 - Love

It's been 10 years since the death of my mother. Today as I write my blog, I'm reminded of all the love she tried her best to give to her family as we tried our best in return despite her lifelong mental illness roller coaster. Loving in a difficult situation can be challenging, frustrating, and, unexpectedly entertaining:

It was a quiet evening at Hope Hospice that night back in 2007. Unresponsive at this point, Mom seemed comfortable in her hi-tech bed. My sister Diane and I spent three and a half long weeks by Mom's side, 24/7. One night, in particular, we had the TV show "Jeopardy!" lingering in the background. I will tell you right upfront, I suck at this game (of course, depending on the subject . . . 70's music and movies I can be fierce competition!). As usual, I half-listened to the "answers" not quick enough to figure out the "question." The final Jeopardy! "answer" was read . . . something about a Spanish painter and I knew the answer! I yelled out "Miro!" The response from the players . . . "Who is Miro!" I started woohooing, proud I finally got one right! Within seconds, Mom's nurse came running in. "Is everything ok?" she asked calmly with an empathetic look on her face. All of the sudden, I realized I was in hospice, and loud noises coming from a room are usually cries of grief at the loss of a loved one. I assured her there was no change in Mom, and I just got a little excited about getting the final Jeopardy! question right. She just smiled and nodded, closing the door behind her, I'm sure, to keep the noise level down!

In today's Gospel (Mark 12:28-34), Jesus accentuates that love is the key to His Heart:

One of the scribes came to Jesus and asked him, "Which is the first of all the commandments?" Jesus replied, "The first is this: Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart,  with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. The second is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these." The scribe said to him, "Well said, teacher. You are right in saying, He is One and there is no other than he. And to love him with all your heart, with all your understanding, 
with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices." And when Jesus saw that he answered with understanding, he said to him, "You are not far from the Kingdom of God." And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Boy does this quote from Anne's book Staying in Place nail why God's Love is crucial in creating a healthier, healed self:

"When we insist on healthy practices which reject superstition and which put people directly in relationship with God, we will feel lighter and more effective as Christians called to create what is fresh and healthy. When people insist on talking about Satan and evil we will equally insist on talking about Jesus Christ and His goodness. Mercy and love will replace fear, hatred, suspicion and distortion. Mercy and love. What was terribly incomplete must now be replaced with what is at least MORE complete and aimed at ever greater completeness."

Lay apostles, even in the most difficult situation, search for the good . . . the love that can be infused. Whether that love is for God, another person, or even yourself, make it a habit to bring every obstacle faced to the Foot of the Cross. Sometimes it's hard to determine good in adversity, but it can be done. Give it a try today if you are blessed with a challenge . . . He is waiting to send you heavenly love and graces.

Thank you, Lord, for continually reminding me through the Gospels and Anne's exquisite writing that God = Love. And, with His Love comes healing and peace.

God bless,
Bonnie



No comments: