Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fear's Captive Hold

Last weekend Jay and his daughter were talking about how much fun they had lobster diving years ago. They then proceeded to try to convince me I'd love it too. Anyone who knows me well knows I am not, nor will I ever be, a scuba diver, a shark hunter, or a great fishing expert. I did conquer my fear of sharks years ago in a shark cage off the coast of Hawaii. Then, feeling I could snorkel without fear, found myself side by side with a snowflake moray eel amongst some beautiful coral. I think that was the last time I snorkeled. The thought of diving to catch lobster, holding my breath while burrowing deeper in the water, while trying not to get pinched by the lobster's claws, let alone what else is swimming around . . . well, you get the point. What am I so afraid of? What's the worst thing that could happen?  I'd get pinched by a claw? A shark comes and bites an appendage off? I drown? I say I don't fear death and I mean that. I am ready for the second coming of Our Lord if it should occur in my lifetime. I look forward to finally going back to my heavenly home one day. I will accept any outcome I experience as His Will. So . . . guess I just convinced myself to go lobster diving!  Time to brush away fear's captive hold on me.

The First Reading today (Hebrews 2:14-18) explains why we should free ourselves of fear:

Since the children share in blood and Flesh, Jesus likewise shared in them, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the Devil, and free those who through fear of death had been subject to slavery all their life. Surely he did not help angels but rather the descendants of Abraham; therefore, he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every way,  that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest before God to expiate the sins of the people. Because he himself was tested through what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.

In the booklet Heaven Speaks About Depression, St. Dymphna gently explains why there is no need for fear on earth:


"Do not be afraid. There is nothing that should make you be afraid. Jesus will care for your needs and you will care for His. Fear is paralyzing many on earth at this time. This brings us back to the need for the heavenly eyes. If you look at your situation and view it as heaven views it, you will understand that there is nothing on the earth that should make you fearful. You will serve for a time and then you will die in your body. This is the way it has always been. This is heaven’s plan."

Lay apostles, what is it that you fear? Loneliness? Embarrassment? Death? As St. Dymphna states above, view everything through heavenly eyes. Somehow, fearfulness seems a little immature when you think of heaven's view. So, strap on those flippers, secure your mask and snorkel, and dive in. Jesus is by your side.

Thank you, Lord, for pushing me out of my comfort zone in so many ways. In every situation I have encountered and those I will in the future, having You by my side gives me the confidence and strength to conquer any fear!

God bless,
Bonnie



No comments: