Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Gospel Thoughts Today: Never Hunger

As parents and grandparents, we never want to see our children suffer. We do our best to raise good, honest and faith-filled adults. Some get sidetracked along the way, losing sight of the path leading to Christ. I know I did in my younger days. I was always searching to fill what I now know as the "God Hole" in my life. Poor choices only made me feel worse and left me more wounded and defensive. My life to that point had been filled with the roller coaster of having a mentally ill mother, in and out of mental institutions most of my childhood. Despite her illness, she did have faith which passed on to her 4 daughters. Only after having my first child did I start to see the importance of continuing that instillation of faith and gratitude she accomplished. 37 years later (can I really have a daughter turning 37 this year???) I am grateful for the faith and love I see in my girls. What filled my "God Hole" finally? This apostolate. Direction for Our Times. As my girls matured, so did my faith life. Reading the Volumes (see links to the right on this blog) empowered me with such love of Our Savior, I have never looked back. I am so filled with love, gratitude and joy I never imagined was possible. The graces Jesus has given this sinner are extraordinary in that I know I will never hunger again.

Today's Gospel (John 6:30-35) finds Jesus teaching the crowd about how to cure hunger . . . believe in Him:

The crowd said to Jesus: “What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do? Our ancestors ate manna in the desert, as it is written:

"He gave them bread from heaven to eat.”

So Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

So they said to Jesus, “Sir, give us this bread always.” Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.”

In Volume Three, God the Father assures His children of His everlasting love and Parenthood:

"I am sending the greatest graces through My words to you and as God I would have you back in My heart from this moment on. Will you remain with Me, dearest soul? Do not go away from Me again. You have sampled the world’s offerings and you have been left unloved and in darkness. I offer you all that is light and good. I offer you safety and confidence. I will nourish you in times of hunger and console you in sadness. You need nothing, only Me. There is no reason to languish. Your God has called you by name. Come to Me."

Lay apostles, how are you filling the "God Hole" in your life? With spiritual reading? Prayer? Works? If not, try to incorporate one of those into your daily life. Even if it's a quick prayer in the morning to thank God for a new day.

Thank you, Lord, for all the blessings in my life and all the challenges You have been by my side to witness. I can't imagine anyone living without You!

God bless,
Bonnie




No comments: