Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Gospel Thoughts Today: Earning Heaven

As I contemplate all I am thankful for today, my first thoughts are to my husband, daughters, grandchildren, and family. God has blessed me beyond belief. No matter what life throws our way, we all navigate it and find our way back to forgiveness and love. The other day as Jay and I were driving down McGregor Blvd (where the Edison and Ford winter homes are), we passed the infamous "God is Love" sign. It all boils down to love, doesn't it? If we love as Jesus loves and forgive as Jesus forgave (and forgives!), this world would be on its way to peace and joy. So how do we become the change we want to see in the world? Begin today by thanking Him for your blessings (even if it's for hitting all green lights on your way to work this morning!). So, what are you thankful for this year?

Today's Gospel (Luke 19:11-28) is a great lesson in how following Our Lord will help us attain heaven:

While people were listening to Jesus speak, he proceeded to tell a parable because he was near Jerusalem and they thought that the Kingdom of God would appear there immediately. So he said, "A nobleman went off to a distant country to obtain the kingship for himself and then to return. He called ten of his servants and gave them ten gold coins and told them, 'Engage in trade with these until I return.' His fellow citizens, however, despised him and sent a delegation after him to announce, 'We do not want this man to be our king.' But when he returned after obtaining the kingship, he had the servants called, to whom he had given the money, to learn what they had gained by trading. The first came forward and said, 'Sir, your gold coin has earned ten additional ones.' He replied, 'Well done, good servant! You have been faithful in this very small matter; take charge of ten cities.' Then the second came and reported, 'Your gold coin, sir, has earned five more.' And to this servant too he said, 'You, take charge of five cities.' Then the other servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your gold coin; I kept it stored away in a handkerchief, for I was afraid of you, because you are a demanding man; you take up what you did not lay down and you harvest what you did not plant.' He said to him, 'With your own words I shall condemn you, you wicked servant. You knew I was a demanding man, taking up what I did not lay down and harvesting what I did not plant; why did you not put my money in a bank? Then on my return I would have collected it with interest.' And to those standing by he said, 'Take the gold coin from him and give it to the servant who has ten.' But they said to him, 'Sir, he has ten gold coins.' He replied, 'I tell you, to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. Now as for those enemies of mine who did not want me as their king, bring them here and slay them before me.'" After he had said this, he proceeded on his journey up to Jerusalem.


In Volume Seven, God the Father gives us good Fatherly advice with love and encouragement: 

"My children, I have called you. I have pleaded with you. I have explained to you why you must return to Me. You should come back to My heart and remain with Me now in the spirit of loyalty and love. If you have a difficult time and feel pulled by the world, know that this conflict is your portion. You are earning your heaven by your detachment from the earth. You are showing Me that you are trying to become worthy of heaven and that you are preparing yourself. Children, the smallest efforts on your part will be rewarded in a truly unprecedented manner. The children of the world have been led far astray at this time but I come now to bring them back. I do not judge you at this time. I love you. I come to you in all patience and understanding. Come to Me in the spirit of obedience and you will move swiftly on a straight path that leads directly to holiness. No fear now, My children. I have only good intentions for you. Be at peace in everything. Your God will protect you and preserve you."

Lay apostles, I pray you have a blessed Thanksgiving, thinking about what this day really means . . . being thankful for all things big and small. 

Thank you, Lord, for opening my eyes to all the blessings you have surrounded me with. Please help me to see those blessings when life becomes challenging, always being thankful to You for everything.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: