Tuesday, July 14, 2015

An Interesting Confession

In a previous post, I discussed the Confession app I use to "track" my sins. It also allows me to set a reminder for when my monthly Confession is due (as lay apostles, we commit to monthly Confession). A few months ago, as Jay and I stood in Fr. Stan's line at our church, I pulled out my Confession app to review what I needed to confess. I learned something very valuable that day . . . if you click on a sin (and you can click on it several times if you commit the same sin over and over . . . for example, gossiping), there is no erasing if clicked on accident. Well, I accidentally clicked on "Have I caused serious injury or death by criminal neglect?" I panicked and tried to delete it. Soon it jumped to "2" on the number of times committed. I silently showed Jay what I had done. With a grin, he quietly asked if he needed to sleep with one eye open from now on. As the repenter before me walked out and Fr. Stan's smiling face greeted me, I closed the door behind me and told him I had to tell him something before we started. He had a serious look on his face as he asked what was on my mind. I confessed the above sins . . . and then explained about the mishap. He burst into laughter as I began, "Bless me Father, for I have sinned . . ." The beauty of this Sacrament, when we are truly sorry for what we have done, is the grace the Lord bestows to go back into the world more knowledgable and keenly aware of our own behavior. 

In todays Gospel (Matthew 11:20-24), Jesus asks for our repentance:

Jesus began to reproach the towns where most of his mighty deeds had been done, since they had not repented. “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would long ago have repented in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. And as for you, Capernaum:

Will you be exalted to heaven? You will go down to the netherworld.

For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”

In the booklet Heaven Speaks to Prisoners, St. Francis of Assisi encourages us, despite our sins, to have a repentant heart:

"So perhaps you are stuck at that first road sign. You see a sign that says repentance this way, but you do not feel it. This is where the beauty of Jesus becomes clear. You can ask Jesus for even this. Tell Jesus that you want to be sorry but you do not feel sorry. Ask Jesus to give you sorrow for your sins. Ask Him to give you a spirit of repentance. Jesus will do this. He will do everything. Look up to Him and acknowledge Him as your King, your Saviour, and your Creator. He will do the rest. Do you see that with Jesus, you cannot fail? You simply cannot fail."

Lay apostles, how are we repentant for our sins? Do we feel the victim with no need to repent for retaliation? Do we hurt others because we have been hurt?  My friends, a sin is a sin. If we don't have it in us to apologize or visit the Sacrament of Confession, as St. Francis says above, "ask Jesus to give you sorrow for your sins." The more we ask for graces to climb the mountain to holiness, the easier repentance becomes. 

Thank you, Lord, for all the graces bestowed on me through the Sacrament of Confession. There is not a better feeling in the world than walking out of there knowing I am right with You!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: