Thursday, November 2, 2017

Gospel Word Today: Reject

Rejection can be a daily occurrence . . . from our smart phones/computers malfunctioning to the end of a relationship. So, we reboot our technology or our lives, one way or another. But one thing is for sure and constant . . . God will never reject us. This is powerful for me. No matter the choices I've made, He still loves me. He sees my potential. In turn, I strive to be that person He knows I can be. I am imperfect and He is my shield against rejection. While some forms of rejection take a while to get over, the fact is, the pain lessons over time with faith. Forgive the rejectors, knowing they are just as imperfect.

Today's Gospel (John 6:37-40) is clear . . . He will never reject us as followers of Christ, imperfect as we are:

Jesus said to the crowds: "Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day."

In Anne a lay apostle's book Staying in Place, the message is as clear as the Gospel today:

"God decided He would come into being and absorb all rejection for all time to free us from this burden. In a sense, it is God at His best and highest expression of Father, relieving unmanageable burdens of guilt for His children. Who would reject this Savior who absorbs our guilt into His own body? There is sweetness in this that we might miss. This was kindness itself. This was truly God stooping low on our behalf. This is benevolence. He gave all in His little human essence. Why do I say ‘little human essence’? Because when looking at it from the eyes of the Father, Jesus Christ on Earth was as little and as vulnerable in His humanity as we are in our humanity. He was equally adorable and cherished. He was delightful. I think that God would want to direct our focus to the fact that Jesus shared our human state, viewing all of humanity as equal in dignity. He came to lift the whole thing up, to direct us toward the sanctity of all human life. He came to absorb our guilt, yes, and to give us hope, yes, and also to ask that we view this same Christ in every human person. Jesus possessed God and lived in union with God, and so can we. We must choose God and then live our choice, as Jesus did."

Lay apostles, is rejection consuming your thoughts lately? Were you rejected or the perpetrator of the rejection? Either way, explore why your experience is causing unrest in your life. How can you act or respond differently? Direct your focus to viewing events through the eyes of Christ. Align your feelings with those of Jesus on the Cross and the rejection He experienced being the Son of God.

Thank you, Lord, for the Gospel message today. It is a great reminder to focus on Your Will, and not forget that through You, there is always hope!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: