Thursday, November 30, 2017

Gospel Thoughts: I Will Follow Him

After reading the Gospel today, the song "I Will Follow Him" and the movie Sister Act immediately came to mind. The vision of a group of nuns singing this tune about Our Savior puts a smile on my face every time I hear it! This song was first performed on the Perry Como show in April of 1963 by the original artist, Little Peggy March, which conjures memories of my two older sisters singing this when I was young:


We all have choices . . . to live a life with or without Christ. I choose to follow Him. Whenever I veer off that path thinking I can control my journey alone, I am reminded (and sometimes very quickly!) I cannot. He is my source of strength when I am weak; my calm when chaos ensues; my comforter when I am fearful. I could never imagine a life without Him.

Today's Gospel (Matthew 4:18-22) couldn't be any clearer . . . nothing is more important than taking up your cross and following Christ:

As Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon who is called Peter, and his brother Andrew, casting a net into the sea; they were fishermen. He said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed him. He walked along from there and saw two other brothers, James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat, with their father Zebedee, mending their nets. He called them, and immediately they left their boat and their father and followed him.

In the June 2012 Monthly Message, Jesus encourages His followers:

"I am pleased when I see holiness increasing in My friends and this increase in holiness is what gives Me hope for the Church. Yes, I am urging My followers toward sacrifice and service and many of you are answering with your whole hearts. You, listening to My words and allowing them to change you, are giving Me great hope. With this hope I push on into the world, confident, that while some resist change, others embrace it. Yes, change is happening, most especially in the heart of every committed apostle. You are becoming holier. As you are becoming holier, My Church is becoming holier. Apostles, hear this call with all seriousness. I, Jesus, have everything needed to advance the Church into greater unity. And I, Jesus, can do this as quickly as you will allow Me."

Lay apostles, pick up your cross and follow Jesus. What have you done today to spread the messages of Jesus in the Gospels and the Volumes?  It doesn't have to be complicated. For example, have you told someone you love them today?  If not, say it! Have you smiled at a stranger who seems sad? If not, smile! Be joyful and band together with fellow lay apostles around the world to provide what this world so desperately needs . . . the hope of salvation when following him.

Thank you, Lord, for providing what I need when I need it most!

God bless,

Bonnie

No comments: