Sunday, November 12, 2017

Gospel Word Today: Foolish

I am not a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of girl. Especially when it comes to big decisions. I do my research, plot the best course, and make sure I've got all my bases covered. I usually proceed with caution, always calculating the best-case and worst-case scenarios prior to embarking on whatever adventure awaits. But my vision of what is good and right can become distorted at times. I don't always have the "whole" picture. To base decisions/thought processes on what I perceive (with all available information) is the only way I know how to function . . . to keep my head above water. This is my way of making sense of it all. It's foolish of me to think everyone has the same reality as I do. My biggest challenge is letting go of things I cannot change, having faith that God will do the heavy lifting when a cross is too heavy for my heart to bear. I pray He gives me the wisdom (in critical moments!) to strive for love always . . . even when outcomes take me by surprise.

Today's Gospel (Matthew 25:1-13) demonstrates the importance of preparation and making wise decisions:

Jesus told his disciples this parable: “The Kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise. The foolish ones, when taking their lamps, brought no oil with them, but the wise brought flasks of oil with their lamps. Since the bridegroom was long delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep. At midnight, there was a cry, ‘Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ Then all those virgins got up and trimmed their lamps. The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ But the wise ones replied, ‘No, for there may not be enough for us and you. Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.’ While they went off to buy it, the bridegroom came and those who were ready went into the wedding feast with him. Then the door was locked. Afterwards the other virgins came and said, ‘Lord, Lord, open the door for us!’ But he said in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, I do not know you.’ Therefore, stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour.”

In Anne a lay apostle's book Staying in Place, the focus is clear . . . love:


"Perhaps we must concentrate together, fiercely, on love. We must teach love and talk about love and promote love and separate love out from selfish actions and foolish distortions. We must hold love up for admiration and form our children to identify love and the actions of love. Do we want to bring up integrated individuals, fit for leadership and service? Do we want to shape public servants who will create and then protect environments where love is formed, fashioned and prioritized?
We will need to reassess everything if we are to answer the mandate Heaven sets out for renewal. And this renewal must not be limited to Church, although it is urgently needed in Church. This renewal must be insisted upon in our families and work environments, communities, and societies."

Lay apostles, where are we getting it right? Strive to do more of that. Now, where are we getting it wrong? And remember, we all get it wrong once in a while, so this is not a negative "I'm a bad person" statement. It's about how to acknowledge when love is not the outcome of our words and actions. Foolish distortions, as Anne says above, are most of the time, not reality when seeing the Truth of disheartening circumstances. So today, lead with love. See the reality of right now . . . this minute in time.

Thank you, Lord, for the tough lessons I must learn in order to love You more. I'm sorry it's taking me so long to see Your Truth in every situation/everyone I encounter.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: