Tuesday, June 6, 2017

The Obvious

Sometimes the obvious is hard to discern depending where we are in our faith journey. Some think making the trek to Sunday Mass is enough. Some think there is no time for Sunday Mass. And some think they don't need to pay a visit to a Church . . . and call themselves "spiritual." Doesn't every athlete need a coach? Every priest the Pope? Every child parents to guide them into maturity? Obvious questions with a big YES as the answer. So why do some Christians think they don't need the Ultimate Coach? His heavenly playbook (Bible) contains everything we need to live our lives for His Glory. The Gospels are rich with life lessons ready and waiting for us to read. And to add the Volumes in this heavenly mix? Well, there are no excuses anymore. It's time to learn what it takes to live your life for His Glory. Don't know where to start? Well, reading today's Gospel is the first step. Then click on the links in the righthand column of this blog. Choose a Volume to read. Jesus is waiting for you with open arms . . .

Today's Gospel (Mark 12:13-17) teaches us to avoid becoming a hypocrite:

Some Pharisees and Herodians were sent to Jesus to ensnare him in his speech. They came and said to him, “Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you are not concerned with anyone’s opinion. You do not regard a person’s status but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not? Should we pay or should we not pay?” Knowing their hypocrisy he said to them, “Why are you testing me? Bring me a denarius to look at.” They brought one to him and he said to them, “Whose image and inscription is this?” They replied to him, “Caesar’s.” So Jesus said to them, “Repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.” They were utterly amazed at him.

In Volume Seven, St. Matthew encourages us to be obvious by being humble:

"I send my greetings to my brothers and sisters on earth. I am happy to be speaking to you and look forward to greeting you here in heaven when your time on earth is finished. How quickly it goes by, dear friends. Do not worry about suffering because it is truly brief, even if it lasts for a lifetime. I have come to do my part in enlightening you. You are given this extra help because you have been given extra challenges in that you participate in a time of great trouble. There is also great joy available, as you well know, and true followers will find these times invigorating. The smaller and more humble you become, the greater the flow of graces that can flow through you into the world. Jesus is grateful to you. You know that. Call as many servants into the fold as you can. Do not be afraid to tell souls that Jesus needs their help. You must encourage others to take up their crosses and follow because more workers will complete the tasks more quickly and easily. These are all obvious pieces of advice. I want to speak to you now about something that is less obvious. Brothers and sisters, and may I say dear friends, there will come a time when the choice between Jesus and the world will cost you something. During that time, many families will split because many souls will say, “Yes, I will serve, but not unto death and not at the cost of my comfort and well being.” But for you...what is He asking of you? Is He asking you to serve a little bit? Does He want to possess a part of you, leaving the remainder to the world? Did Jesus Christ stop cold at the foot of Calvary and say, “I want to love these souls, yes, but not unto death?” No, my friends. Jesus Christ ascended Calvary and finished the job of redemption. It cost Him something. It cost Him everything. But He persevered. So what do you think He is asking of you? You must give with entirety. You must make the decision now and never divert, regardless of the cost. There will come a time when families will split. This will cause you pain, my friend, it is true. But you will not divert. You are not called upon to divert. You are chosen as an apostle of these days to complete the mission our great God has entrusted to you."

Lay apostles, I strive to be obvious . . . obvious I am a Christian working for Christ. I don't always achieve this goal when I am distracted away from Him. Reading and rereading every book published through this apostolate never fails to redirect me when I veer off the path up the mountain of holiness. Every message from heaven comforts, shielding me with its heavenly armor. Come back to Him if you have been away or distant . . . you are loved.

Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to see You in the eyes of my husband; feel You in the hug from one of my grandchildren, and hear You in the sound of my daughters' voices.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: