Thursday, June 29, 2017

Gospel Word for Today: Prevail

Jay and I have had many conversations over the years regarding negative people. It's very easy to be drawn into conversations leading nowhere, commiserating with encounters from situations I personally experienced in my past. It takes actual concentration to turn those conversations around, focusing on the positive. A few years ago I had a conversation with a young man. He complained about his job, and how unfair his boss was . . . yada, yada, yada. I've had difficult bosses in the past so I could understand the frustration. But with age comes wisdom, right? I took my shot at turning his annoyance into empathy by explaining we never know the lives people lead behind closed doors. Some wear their emotions on their sleeve and some hide despair appearing upbeat and happy. He listened and agreed we never know what's behind angry words. Then proceeded to complain some more! The lesson I took away from this conversation? I had some work to do, to prevail . . . practice positivity, not allowing negative talk to escape my lips to the best of my ability. My goal is remembering to be more of Him and less of me. I just pray He continues to intervene when I fail to follow my own advice!

In today's Gospel (Matthew 16:13-19) Jesus shows us how faith in Him leads to the gates of heaven:

When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter said in reply,  “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” 

In the Monthly Message of July 2012, Jesus asks us to faithfully be His messengers on earth:

"Dearest apostles, to make way for your King you will have to fall back from drawing attention to yourself. One falls back, in this instance, by giving constant credit to the One who is fighting the battles and winning the souls. And the war is for souls, dear apostles. I am craving allegiance from all of God’s children because I am craving what is good for them. Those who are away from Me must see the goodness in you. You are truly offering the best possible message for everyone you encounter. Your message is one of love and welcome and you give the message as the messenger of the King. Be at peace. I am all powerful and you are on the side of heaven."

Lay apostles, how are you handling negativity in your life? Whether it comes from your mouth or another's, be conscious of what you say and how you act. We can't force anyone to be happy or positive. This is a harsh reality. I desperately try to lead others to this mission. The words of Christ and all of Heaven push me to be more humble, acquire patience and trust in Him always, and most importantly, love those I come in contact with on a daily basis. Responsibility for our actions is just that . . . our actions. So, focus on praying more. Read spiritual literature daily. Grow closer to Our Lord. It takes practice, patience, and perseverance. Shut out the negativity by remembering Christ is by your side . . . always!

Thank you, Lord, for helping me focus on the positive when there is so much negative in the world. But especially help me to prevail by shining Your Light to change the hearts of those you place in my path.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: