Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Gospel Thoughts: Love Your Enemies

There couldn't be better timing for the Gospel message today. With up-to-date news as close as a swipe on our smartphones, any time of day or night, the violence/intolerance occurring here in our own country is disturbing. There is so much self-pity and childish behavior being flung since our president's election, it has become like projectile vomiting . . . most can't stop it from freely exiting their mouths! There is such a lack of control in the emotional department, I wonder . . . how did they become so angry? The only thing I can come up with is God is nowhere to be found. Christ assigns us a very difficult task today . . . love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. When people I love frustrate or disappoint me, it's easy to continue loving them and coming to a resolution. But when it is a famous celebrity portraying radical islamist terrorists or politicians obstructing the great strides President Trump is making, I have to admit I struggle with loving and praying for them. The solution for me? Don't spend my hard earned money by going to the theater to see these characters try to act. I also try to stay focused on positive political #NewMedia like YourVoice America (Bill Mitchell is the best! Extremely positive and explains what is actually going on in America!). I am a work in progress . . . trying my best to pray instead of being disturbed! Pray for me!

Today's Gospel (Matthew 5:43-48):

Jesus said to his disciples: "You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect."

The following quote from Anne's book Staying in Place perfectly states the reason we must stay focused on love and gratitude, not hate and anger:

"Self-pity is the enemy of wellness and joy. Self-pity is the enemy of virtue. Self-pity targets initiative and accomplishment. Jesus Christ kept working from the cross of His death, organizing care for His mother, obtaining forgiveness for His persecutors, doing the hard work to wrap His head around His circumstances, even asking, 'My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?'


My friends, if we are breathing, life has expectations of us. Today’s expectations could jump to a far higher level at any moment. We must prepare to serve. And when we are most disappointed, we must practice finding what is good around us, what is pure, even when it is only pure sorrow. Then we might say with profound gratitude, 'Thank you, Jesus that someone taught me to believe in the next life, where all of this suffering will have evaporated and where I will be united with loved ones in safety and celebration, free from pain, harm and threat.'"

Lay apostles, how do we detach from all the noise encompassing our daily lives? Put the smartphone down. Call instead of text. Serve each other. Turn the TV off and read a Volume. Talk to each other. Pray.

Thank you, Lord, for reminding me I have to love and pray for my enemies. I will need some extra graces FYI!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: