Thursday, June 22, 2017

Gospel Word for Today: Babble

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the word "babble" means to talk enthusiastically or excessively. Considering Jesus uses the word babble as a behavior not becoming of a Christian in today's Gospel . . . well, the Italian in me is hard to subdue when I am passionate about something or someone. There are times I am in conversation with a new acquaintance and find I need to remind myself over and over to listen instead of "babble."  Is my need to chime in the need to feel connected? To show I understand or can relate to the story at hand? I love to find common ground with people I meet, to bond on commonality. But that doesn't excuse my lack of listening at times. This prompted thinking about my prayer life. Do I listen to Him or give Him my long list of prayer requests? Usually, it's the latter. One of my goals this year is to listen to Him more, and babble less. A goal once perfected, will (prayerfully!) spill over into everyday interactions.

In today's Gospel (Matthew 6:7-15), Jesus gives us the perfect prayer to live by:

Jesus said to his disciples: "In praying, do not babble like the pagans,
who think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

"This is how you are to pray:


Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

"If you forgive men their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive men, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions."

In Anne a lay apostle's book Whispers From the Cross, she reminds us to be cautious of what comes out of our mouths:

"In moments of useless communication when we are not in communion with Jesus, the enemy can come with temptation. Our talk is then subject to a dark influence. Our talk can then become subject to the enemy’s plan. In many ways and on many occasions we have furthered the plan of Satan through talking and other forms of communication that are not willed by heaven. Better we be mute than assist Satan in tearing down what the Lord attempts to build. Many things can happen in useless talking and random communication. Often what happens is destructive gossip. Before any communication, therefore, we must seek to determine if Jesus wants us to communicate. Is Jesus asking us to make this communication? Many times and probably most times the answer will be ‘No’. Jesus needs only the smallest percentage of the communications we make."

Lay apostles, let's take note of how much we listen to others today. Do we cut people off to "babble?" Do we finish their thoughts for them? I know I am guilty of this!  As I am a work in progress, this is my ultimate goal . . . less babble, more listening!

Thank you, Lord, for reminding me to listen first and respond second (which I know is a common reminder for You in our relationship!).

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: