Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Perspective in Retrospect

If I only knew then what I know now.  Would I have made different decisions based on my life experiences up to this moment?  Maybe.  But I would never have learned the lessons God needed me to learn to be who I am today.  My mother's bipolar disorder and attempted suicide when I was a young teenager led me to be more compassionate and accepting of those suffering from mental illness. My father's handicap (in 9th grade had a major accident leaving him with a crushed leg) and his I'm-perfectly-normal attitude taught me to look at everyone the same, despite any handicap. Having three sisters and three daughters (and almost all nieces!) created an understanding in the mindset of a female to be passed on to those trying to figure it out.  The point is, I have learned many lessons and will continue to learn for the rest of my life.  I have made many poor choices, but they were my choices and I accept that. I have also made many good choices, one of them becoming a lay apostle.  It doesn't matter what our past looks like.  What matters is how we learn from the lessons and apply them for our personal growth.  My perspective, in retrospect, is I wouldn't do anything differently.  Christ knew my journey and how it would lead me straight to Him. The beauty of it all?  He has forgiven me for my past, leading me to a brighter, more knowledgable future acquiring the virtues needed for heaven.

In todays first reading (1 Cor 6:1-11), we are warned, then comforted knowing our sins are forgiven if we choose to follow Christ leaving sinful behavior behind:

Now indeed then it is, in any case, a failure on your part that you have lawsuits against one another. Why not rather put up with injustice? Why not rather let yourselves be cheated? Instead, you inflict injustice and cheat, and this to brothers. Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes nor sodomites nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the Kingdom of God. That is what some of you used to be; but now you have had yourselves washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

In Volume Two, Jesus gives us His perspective on the importance of obedience in acquiring virtues:


"My children, these words are lessons in love. I seek to teach you that love is sacrifice. The two words, love and sacrifice, are nearly interchangeable from the heavenly perspective. If you love someone, you are willing to sacrifice for their wellbeing. In earthly terms, if you value or love a thing, you are willing to work, save, and plan to acquire that thing. If you place that same concept into heavenly terms, you can take a virtue, such as the virtue of obedience. If obedience is a valuable thing to you, a desired thing, you will work, sacrifice, and be patient until you can acquire this virtue. It is the very same with all of the heavenly virtues. I want you to value and put great emphasis on these heavenly virtues. I, your Jesus, am saying to you, truly, you will need to have these things to acquire heaven. You believe Me, and know that I speak only the truth. So you must begin to concentrate on the acquisition of these virtues. You must sacrifice to achieve these virtues. You are practicing and these virtues are becoming more second nature. You see them in your daily lives and your behaviors are changing. We are working on patience. We are working on trust. We work on fortitude. You are becoming kinder and more compassionate. My children, all is going as it should be. I tell you that you are destined for great holiness and you will achieve this holiness if you remain united to Me. And you will do so because I will protect you."

Lay apostles, take what life has given you and search for the lesson.  What is God trying to teach you?  Trust? Tolerance? Forgiveness?  Whatever it is, gain perspective in retrospect. When you do, life begins to make sense.  Every one of us suffers from some kind of pain or hurt.  Take those lessons and teach others without resentment of the lessons.  Let's choose to be proactive instead of reactive.  After all is said and done, what matters is facing Christ the day we are called home. What can you do to further His Kingdom today?

Thank you, Lord, for loving me so much with lessons needed to find my way to Your Sacred Heart.  I will continue to learn from any situation You present!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: