Thursday, September 20, 2012

Am I Worthy?

Yesterday I received a text from my dear friend Crystal with a video of her grandson (one month older than my first grandson Connor) saying his first words. Just precious! Since we both became grandmothers, pictures of our adorable grandsons have gone back and forth between us.  In response I sent her a recent pic of my grandson Colton (almost 6 weeks old).  We both decided we were very blessed! Our chat went on about our blessings and I wrote that sometimes I can hardly believe I am worthy of all this happiness. Her response (thanks for permission to quote you, Crystal!) was: "Oh silly you.  Can't imagine how grateful He is to you for all you do and who you are."  What a beautiful thing to say, huh?  Once in a while, despite receiving absolution for my sins in Confession, evil still plagues my brain with doubts I am worthy of any happiness.  Luckily, doubts dissipate quickly with the love and support of family and friends. But most importantly, Jesus forgives the sinner. And we must believe we are forgiven.  In the Bible, the Volumes and all of Anne's books, Jesus desires His lay apostles be joyful and experience happiness living in communion with Him.  So I have decided I am worthy of and very grateful for the happiness Jesus bestows. Hard times and difficult situations will always disturb us on our path to holiness. It's inevitable. But if we live each day in thankfulness for whatever He sends our way, good or bad, know He counts us worthy of His Love.  
Todays Gospel (Luke 7:36-50) reminds us nobody's sins are any greater or any less than our own.  We are all worthy of forgiveness:

A certain Pharisee invited Jesus to dine with him, and he entered the Pharisee's house and reclined at table. Now there was a sinful woman in the city who learned that he was at table in the house of the Pharisee. Bringing an alabaster flask of ointment, she stood behind him at his feet weeping and began to bathe his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them, and anointed them with the ointment. When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, that she is a sinner." Jesus said to him in reply, "Simon, I have something to say to you." "Tell me, teacher," he said.

"Two people were in debt to a certain creditor; one owed five hundred days' wages and the other owed fifty. Since they were unable to repay the debt, he forgave it for both. Which of them will love him more?" Simon said in reply, "The one, I suppose, whose larger debt was forgiven." He said to him, "You have judged rightly." Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? When I entered your house, you did not give me water for my feet, but she has bathed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but she has not ceased kissing my feet since the time I entered. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she anointed my feet with ointment. So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence, she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little." He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." The others at table said to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" But he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."


In Anne a lay apostle's book The Mist of Mercy, the following quote is crucial when asking God for forgiveness through the Sacrament of Reconciliation if you are Catholic:
 
"God offers us forgiveness, regardless of the sins we have committed. God’s forgiveness has no strings or limits attached. God’s forgiveness does not come and go. God does not make forgiveness available one day and then withdraw the offer of it the next day. The forgiveness of God is and always will be. Like everything else about God, His forgiveness is perfect. Once it is given, it will not be taken away. God’s forgiveness does not rely on anything in us. Are you sorry for your sins? If the answer is yes, then you have nothing to worry about. Go to Confession if you are a Catholic and everything will be fine. Some people recall a bad experience in Confession. They cite this as the reason they no longer go to Confession or indeed pray or go to Mass. This is heartbreaking. Be aware that Jesus calls priests from the group that is humanity. Priests are human. If a priest behaved badly to you, God will deal with him. Be assured that the Lord knows the sins of His priests. We must also be assured that when we die and stand before God, He will not ask us what everyone else did wrong. He will ask us for an account of OUR life. Look past the priest to Jesus Christ. Do not allow a bad experience to pull you away from God’s love and from all that He offers through His Church. It is good for people to understand that there is no limit to God’s forgiveness. Some people think that their sins, their malice and the damage they have done to others, makes it impossible for God to forgive them. They feel they will always be permanently excluded from God’s family. This is  only possible if a person refuses to repent and wishes to be excluded. Some people think they do not want to go to Confession and confess their past sins because it means they are making a commitment to perfection. They think, I’m not ready to be perfect. I’m not ready to change. I’m not ready to completely give up some of my habits or behaviors. Please, please, please do not let this stop you from going to Confession. Jesus knows you will fail again. He accepts this. If there is the smallest desire in you to try to do the smallest bit better for God, then you should go to Confession and let Christ, through the priest, help you. Conversion is an ongoing thing. We do not become perfect in a day. We do not even become perfect in a lifetime."

Lay apostles, what has made you happy today?  Is it the beauty of the sun shining through storm clouds? A baby boy uttering his first words? A good "curly hair" day (ok, I struggle loving my curly hair, but once in a blue moon, it turns out great!)? Whatever it is, no matter how small, look for the joy instead of the sorrow. Be thankful He finds each of us worthy.  

Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to feel worthy of happiness.  Help me to overcome the times when I feel I don't deserve it.  I have never been happier in my life.  And it's all because of You!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: